Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Next unknown

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Next unknown Empty
PostSubject: Next unknown   Next unknown Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 9:16 am

I got this plant from a friend of mine. He couldn't recognise it, nor do I. Maybe somebody could say something about it?

Next unknown 14wvynm
Back to top Go down

Next unknown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next unknown   Next unknown Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 9:18 am

Well, it is very beautiful, though no idea what it is.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Next unknown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next unknown   Next unknown Icon_minitimeWed Jul 23, 2008 9:19 am

My first thought was something like brauneana, which I know isn't a very well liked name these days, and has been described as a longer spined klissingiana, but with fewer raidals as well 20-30 rather than 30-35.
M. bravoe has, I think, shorter spines than this, although it might just be the size of the plant making them look longish - it's a young plant I guess?

Next unknown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next unknown   Next unknown Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 10:47 am

It is probably Mammillaria quevedoi, referred by Craig to M. bravoae and by Hunt to M. hahniana ssp. bravoae. You are right Chris, it is very young plant.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Next unknown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next unknown   Next unknown Icon_minitimeSat Jul 26, 2008 12:34 pm

Was this a Reppenhagen nomen nudum? I see that he referred to it as a synonym in Vol 2 of his Gattung Mammillaria, but as I don't have that volume yet, I can find no more about it. Though I have seen it as being referred to Schmoll, who agave many plants he was involved in, a range of names. Maybe he di dso and it was never published, hence the n.n.
And Leszek, what was your source for it? I found this photo on teh web, but it really doesn't look like yours or indeed any obvious bravoe or hahniana form to my eye at least.
http://www.cana.cz/gallery/displayimage.php?album=26&pos=260

Next unknown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next unknown   Next unknown Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 11:24 am

Chris, a friend of mine brought me this plant from Czech. He had lost the label and found it last week. After I saw your photo of M. quevedoi, I have doubts about authenticity of that label.

Leszek
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Next unknown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next unknown   Next unknown Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 11:32 am

Well, one label is wrong, but I think that your plant looks closer to bravoe than that in the web page I found. So yours may well be right!

Next unknown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next unknown   Next unknown Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 11:44 am

Thank you Chris.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Next unknown Empty
PostSubject: Re: Next unknown   Next unknown Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next unknown
Page 1 of 1