Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Two unknown Mammilarias

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Two unknown Mammilarias Empty
PostSubject: Two unknown Mammilarias   Two unknown Mammilarias Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 5:25 am

Two Mammillarias that need to be identified.

Andreas

Two unknown Mammilarias Dsc00610

Two unknown Mammilarias Dsc00611
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Two unknown Mammilarias   Two unknown Mammilarias Icon_minitimeWed Feb 29, 2012 10:12 am

Hi Andreas,
I think the first is of M. rekoi leptacantha, but the spines are quite pale. I am not at all sure about the second one, though it reminds me of a grafted M. manana before it suffered some rot, and I cut off all the offsets and reooted them on.
I think others need to comment before you shoud take any of these suggestions seriously!

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Two unknown Mammilarias   Two unknown Mammilarias Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 9:21 pm

Rekoi leptacantha is correct. There are two forms, one form has somewhat brownish spines and the other form has yellowish spines.
I have no idea what the other plant could be.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Two unknown Mammilarias   Two unknown Mammilarias Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 10:09 am

Has your second plant flowered? I am wondering if it is an Escobaria rather than a Mammillaria, and the flowers would help to distinguish that at least.

agrippa

agrippa

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Two unknown Mammilarias   Two unknown Mammilarias Icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 1:35 pm

I agree about the 1st plant too. But not quite sure about the second, it rather reminds me a Rebutia plant, there are some dry flowers with pods at the sides seen. Have to see it blooming to be more certain.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Two unknown Mammilarias   Two unknown Mammilarias Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks you all for contributing. I would agree with M. rekoi leptacantha. As for the second cactus I am afraid it has not flowered yet. I am attaching a closeup that could help with identification.

M. rekoi leptacantha

Two unknown Mammilarias Dsc00612
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Two unknown Mammilarias   Two unknown Mammilarias Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:25 am

Now I can see more clearly, I am certain that this is ot a Mammillaria. I think the suggestion of a Rebutia is likely to be closer to the mark, maybe Rebutia fiebrigii or similar.

PostSubject: Re: Two unknown Mammilarias   Two unknown Mammilarias Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 11:39 am

Yes I think you got it Chris. Looks like the one on this link

http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/REBUTIA/Rebutia_aureispina/Rebutia_aureispina/Rebutia_aureispina.htm

Andreas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two unknown Mammilarias   Two unknown Mammilarias Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Two unknown Mammilarias
Page 1 of 1