Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Empty
PostSubject: Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico   Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi everybody !

As you might have seen on the "presentation" forum, i'm new in here, and if you want to know a little bit more about me, you can go there Wink => https://mammillaria.forumotion.net/t1680-new-one-from-mexico#5555

Anyway, i visited a nice place lately, near Ixmiquilpan, in the Mexican state of Hidalgo. A LOT of Mammillaria species are growing around there, and i'd like to share some pictures with you and also get some names if you guys have some ideas !

Could you confirm that the following pictures are all the same species ? I'm doubting because the spines looks quite different in size.
I'm thinking about Mammillaria compressa ssp compressa, am i right ?

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 2913481001441

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 1782881001484

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 3794681001486

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 8924391001496

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 5399561001513

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 5911651001749

An extra one, the quite beautiful Mammillaria longimamma, same location.

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 4813971001802

Thanks and i hope you enjoyed, next time more pictures !
Damien
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico   Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Just saw that i have three other unidentified guys from the same place, any idea ?

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 5721031001627

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 9866981001636

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 7123991001639

and other 2 extra pictures => another M. longimamma and a variegated specimen of an unknown species Very Happy

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 4319771001558

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 6331961001945

thanks !
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico   Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 11:33 am

Nice photos, Damien.

The plants that you think could be M. compressa might be that, but could also be M. magnimamma, I can't tell from the photos, I'd want a closer view of the spines and axils to be sure.

The unidentified plants (all 3 are the same) is, I believe M. sempervivi. Near Venados, you can find a yellow flowered form, and further west it appears to be pink, or pink/white flowered.

The last unidentified, variegated plant is probably the same as your first ones.

The spine lengths do vary a great deal.

I travelled throiugh Ixquimilpan in April, from Meztitlan up into the mountains towards Tequiquiapan. There are some great plants along the way, but the most common Mamm like the clumps you have shown here were a form of M. magnimamma which once was called M. seitziana. Yours maybe the same, but closer photos needed first before I could be sure.

PostSubject: Re: Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico   Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Hi, thanks you SO much for your answer.

As you asked me, here there are some close up from the pics i showed you before.

I'm also showing close up of two from the three "unidentified plans" because here as well the spines are quite variable, so i want to be sure.

Great trip that you have done in Hidalgo then ! i was also over there in april !
Which other states have you visited in Mexico ?

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 3341191001478

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 3319461001495

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 6794031001496

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 2837861001534

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 5463951001627

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 6080381001636

Here is also a picture of a M. Magnimamma (this time for sure) growing at about 1km from my house.

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico 9655541001231
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico   Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Your photos 2, 3 & 4 in close up are I think M. compressa. Photo 1 might be M. magnimamma, based mainly upon the long lower spine and the smaller number of other spines. These are quite difficult to separate sometimes, I have found.

The last 2 photo are, for me, both M. sempervivi.

And to answer your question about other states, I'v ebeen to Mexico 3 times now: in 2005 I was in Mexico DF, Puebla, Oaxaca, Moelos and Hidalgo. in 2010, I visited Guanajuato, Aguascalientes (via a little of Jalisco), Zacatecas, Durango, Chihuahua, Sonora, Sinaloa, Nayarit, Jalisco, and Michoacan. This year, I visited Hidalgo, Queretaro, Guanajuato, SLP, NL, Tamaulipas and a little of Coahuila. Lots of miles, but some great plants to see, not just Mamms of course!

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico   Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi Damien,

My ID for your photos is as follows:
Message 1: First 6 photos are all M. compressa (M. compressa has a very variable spination, even among the different heads of a large clump, sometimes very long spines, but on other heads of the same clump the spines can be much shorter (the more sun the head gets, the longer the spines?). M. magnimamma generally has a darker green body colour than M. compressa.
Message 2: Probably all of them are M. pseudocrucigera or M. sempervivi (I assume they are all from exactly the same location; it then nicely shows the variability in nature). The last photo shows M. compressa.
Message 3: I call all of them M. compressa.

I have added 3 photos of clumps of M. compressa, all from the same location and all taken on the same day (near El Alberto, south of Ixmiquilpan). This shows the variability in this species. From the photos one could even make the suggestion that the plants protect themselves from too much sun either by dense spination or by dense wool.

Wolter ten Hoeve, Assen, The Netherlands.

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Img_7210

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Img_7211

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Img_7212
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico   Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks you very much for both of your messages.

Well, For the two ones identified as "sempervivi", i also had pseudocrucigera as a possible name, i think it's gonna be hard to find out who's that little guy ( btw yeah, the few different specimens are from the same location)

Nice field pictures Wolter ! The first one shows very well the variability. It should be posted on the description page of this species on mammillarias.net, shouldn't it?
By the way, you confirm the last pic i posted is a magnimamma, right ?

Another question, i saw a "M. kewensis" from Hidalgo on my field number querry, what does mean M. kewensis (which is not in the synonyms page in mammillarias.net) ?

thanks again,
Damien

Last edited by dada71 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot one sentence)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico   Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 10:45 am

Hi Damien,

thanks you for showing us all those great pictures fom mexico.

M.kewensis was described by SALM-DYCK in 1850. It's a form of M.polythele or if you want a synonym of M.tetracantha (=hidalgensis). This is a group of Mammillaria growing also nearby Ixmiquilpan, Hidalgo. The four spines are characteristic for this group but they have a lot of wool in the axills and they become more cylindric. Therefore I agree with Chris and Wolter your plant is M.sempervivi.

Robby
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico   Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 9:53 pm

Yes Damien, I qualify that last photo as M. magnimamma.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico   Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Field photos from Hidalgo, Mexico
Page 1 of 1