Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha? Empty
PostSubject: ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha?   ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 9:47 pm

ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha? 20200515
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha?   ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2020 9:49 pm

ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha? 20200517
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha?   ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 11:30 am

Most Coryphanthas have a groove all or part of the wat from the areole to the axil, and some have pronounced glands in the axil.So I think its a Mamm, but not sure which species yet. I'll try to get back to you in a bit.

PostSubject: Re: ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha?   ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 5:47 pm

Thanks Chris, very kind.
I also think it is a Mammillaria.
Could it be a sheldonii (pseudoalamensis-marnierana)?
The main stem is 12 cm high and 5 in diameter
Latex free
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha?   ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 6:40 pm

That did cross my mind, but (and I'd need to check in my greenhouse in he morning) I think marnierana has only one central spine. Its overall shape you suggest something like sheldonii. I have two or three sheldonii variants with short straight central spines, but I think they all have just one. I've checked photos that I took on a field trip and I saw straight spined sheldonii variants in St Carlos Bay, east of Alamos, and near the village of Guirocoba. If they have a central spine (some didn't) there was only one. But with such variability, who knows. I guess its never flowered for you yet?

PostSubject: Re: ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha?   ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2020 7:35 pm

It is new in the collection, I still don't know the flowers.

Could be M. multidigitata or M. armillata?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha?   ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ID Please ¿Mammillaria or Coryphantha?
Page 1 of 1