Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Empty
PostSubject: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 5:16 am

Please help me to find the ID of these mammillaria:

One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Mammi10

One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Mamm210

i buy it as Mammillaria san-angelensis Neutral

and this Coryphantha?

One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Coryph10

One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Coryp110

Thanks! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 11:11 am

Mammillaria san-angelensis is an old name. It has been "lumped" by Hunt into Mammillaria haageana, and considered by Reppenhagen to be synonomous with Mammillaria elegans, which itself is just a form of Mammillaria haageana. So I think the old name may have been right, but it is really Mammillaria haageana.

The Coryphantha is, I think, a young Coryphantha compacta. It is really quite difficult to identify plants before they have gained their adult spination. As you probably know, this only appears on Coryphantha plants after 5 or 6 years, maybe longer, when usually stronger spines develop, central or radial. This can change the appearnce of a young plant quite a lot. So, lots of caveats on my attept for a name here.

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeTue Nov 15, 2011 3:21 pm

Thank You so much Crhis, as soon as the coryphantha gets bigger, i'll upload another picture

I bought the Mammillaria after seeing a video of her rescue from extinction by Mexican scientists of the Mexico's largest College (UNAM)

Mammillaria San-Angelensis

Last edited by Olen.U on Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 11:20 am

M. haageana is actually very widespread. The san-angelensis form is from the central volcanic region (Pedregal), and it could well be that the video you saw related to one population being over-run by the ever increasing need for houses, roads etc around Mexico City.

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 5:22 pm

That's exactly what happened, I would like the video had subtitles so you could understand it better. I leave a picture of baby Coryphantha Octacantha. enjoy!

Greetings from Mexico City Very Happy

One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha 6263571345_6e05ecc6b3_b
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Muy hermosas.

I saw C. octacantha just to the north of Pachuca in 2005. I hope to visit there again in April 2012.

Can you post a link to the video - my Spanish is poor, but I can try to understand enough.

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 6:57 pm

It's linked in my previous message:

Youtube - Mammillaria San-Angelensis

The video talks about Tissue Culture!
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Thought from picture it looked like M.Ruestii. Also part of the Haageana/Supertexta group.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 7:55 pm

I think this coryphantha is a retusa (http://www.cactuspedia.info/schede/CORYPHANTHA/Coryphantha_retusa/Coryphantha_retusa/Coryphantha_retusa.htm). Do you have a picture with flower?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 4:11 am

Thank You Delandmo Laughing but I think Chris is right

42 As soon as it gets a little bigger or show a flower i'll post it, I think mine has a little more straight spines

Here's a picture of a Longiflora. Enjoy it
One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha 6440189529_bd2061921b_b
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 am

Nice M. longiflora. I was fortunate to see these in flower in Durango in April 2010, at Coneto Pass, also just off the Mex-40 some distance before El Ciudad, and again a long distance away near the Mex-16 in northern Chihuahua. They look wonderful, and your photo shows this species off to great advantage.

M.ruestii, which is one of the Supertextae series, is considered to be a synonym of M. columbiana ssp yucatanensis, and actually comes from Tegucigalpa, Honduras

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitimeFri Dec 16, 2011 6:20 pm

Thank You Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha   One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One Mammillaria and one Coryphantha
Page 1 of 1