Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria ID Needed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria ID Needed Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2012 9:13 pm

I recently purchased this Mammillaria and despite my research, am unable to find a proper identification. I do not know what color blooms it has (I know that would be of help), but if anyone could point me in the right direction or knows what this is, I am very appreciative.

Mammillaria

Planto
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 3:01 pm

This is a Mammillaria Albata, I have bought one just two week ago and look like this. You can check this in https://mammillaria.forumotion.net/t1002-mammillaria-albata

Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 9:45 pm

the coluor of the central spines, yellowish-brown, remember me something in m.haageana group.
is possible?

Mammillaria ID Needed 2779-h10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2012 11:43 pm

GFRozotto.
Thank you for your input but I am leaning more toward M. haageana as Maurillio pointed out.

Maurillio,
Thank you for your input, I believe it is M. haageana ssp. elegans.

Planto
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 4:26 am

Excelent, you are right, have a nice harvestin!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 1:16 pm

Not to re-open my own post, but am doubting myself as to if what I have is indeed M. haageana ssp. elegans. The reason I ask is while I was looking really closely at photos online (even looking closely at Maurillio's photo), I noticed M. haageana ssp. elegans has 2 central spines whereas my cactus in question has 4. I tried looking at other subspecies of haageana but am unable to find one that looks like my cactus (it does look A LOT like ssp. elegans but with 4 central spines, I'm not sure it is ssp. elegans). Is it possible that I have do have ssp. elegans with 4 central spines or do I have something else? Thanks again.

Planto
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 7:29 am

In the cactus file handbook "Mammillaria by John Pilbeam"
About central spines of M.elegans 1 to 4.

Frederik
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 pm

In the latest classification in the Cactus Lexicon, there are NO subspecies of haageana other than acultzingensis, the other previous names such as elegans, schmollii, collina and so on, are all lumped in together.

I went to Puebla in 2005, and was totally amazed when I found haageana plants which varied so much in spination even on the same site.

So, it would seem that you have a 4 spined form of M. haageana. I'd stop there if I were you! Its safer all ways round.

maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 3:27 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the coluor of the central spines, yellowish-brown, remember me something in m.haageana group

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

d'accordissimmo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitimeTue Sep 18, 2012 6:04 pm

@Frederik, thank you for the clarification! I should look into purchasing the book you mentioned.

@Chris43, I completely agree! I will stop at M. haageana, thanks so much!

@Maurillio, thanks again for the information (you were the one that correctly identified this cactus for me when I first posted).

Planto
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID Needed   Mammillaria ID Needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria ID Needed
Page 1 of 1