Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help needed with this mammillaria

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Help needed with this mammillaria Empty
PostSubject: Help needed with this mammillaria   Help needed with this mammillaria Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 am

Please have a look to this photo´s, is this a Mam. Bombycina, Perezdelrosae ssp andersoniana or something else ???
It has no hooked central spine.
I obtained this plant in a nursery last week, the owner could not give a name, he had it from a collector who stopped.
I had to repot it due the bad condition of the roots, I will keep it dry till the next season and hope the roots will recover.

Help needed with this mammillaria Cactussen115

Help needed with this mammillaria Cactussen113

Help needed with this mammillaria Cactussen111

Frederik
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with this mammillaria   Help needed with this mammillaria Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 am

It looks like it has straight spines, which might suggest perezdelarosae ssp. andersoniana, but also it looks quite a large plant, and usually that ssp is quite a msall plant compared to bombycina and the typical perezdelarosae.

It will be easier to identify when it flowers, but I am thinking that it might actually be Mammillaria haageana ssp. schmollii rather than one of the bomycina / perezdelaroase complex.

A close-up of the spines might make identification a bit easier.

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with this mammillaria   Help needed with this mammillaria Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 11:30 am

I tend to agree with Chris that it is Mammillaria haageana ssp. schmollii, i have the Mammillaria book by John pilbeam and the photo in the book is very much the same as your plant only a little happier
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with this mammillaria   Help needed with this mammillaria Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 11:43 am

Hi Chris and Arthur,

A try to make a close-up of the spines.
I have also the book of John Pilbeam but the spines are more black.
If it flowers, if it ever hapens it must recover, perhaps it will become more clear.

Help needed with this mammillaria Cactussen2002

Help needed with this mammillaria Cactussen2003

Frederik
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with this mammillaria   Help needed with this mammillaria Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi Frederick,

Even more convinced that it is M. haageana ssp. schmollii. The spine colour varies from light brown to dark brown, which is just natural variation.

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with this mammillaria   Help needed with this mammillaria Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 8:23 pm

I agree with Chris and Arthur that it is a form of M. haageana, it certainly has nothing to do with perezdelarosae or bombycina.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with this mammillaria   Help needed with this mammillaria Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 8:53 am

Maybe M. haageana ssp conspicua?
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with this mammillaria   Help needed with this mammillaria Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 11:25 am

M. haageana is one of those species which shows a large amount of variation, especially in spine numbers and colour. As a result, many names have been given, conspicua is one. Almost all of the different forms are single headed, apart from v. schmollii, which was created to include only the offsetting form.

Some botanists now suggest that there should be no varieties or subspecies, but that M. haageana is simply one very variable species.

I have seen this plant at a number of locations in Puebla, and agree that it is very variable. There were plants with one, or two or four central spines, sometimes white tipped with brown, sometimes all dark brown, sometimes smooth and shiny, sometimes rougher and matt. The only true offsetting form I have seen, was near Zalotitlan Salinas, where there were plants with dark spines and those with paler spines.

I probably would maintain the name for the offsetting form, as it is limited, I believe, to a specific area, and does not mix with the other forms.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help needed with this mammillaria   Help needed with this mammillaria Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help needed with this mammillaria
Page 1 of 1