Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476 Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476   Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 7:50 pm

I have a couple of plants of Mamillaria rhodantha ssp odieriana ROG630 from Palo Bendito, Veracruz, and have just sown seed from the AfM distribution of Mammillaria rhodantha ssp fuscata ROG476 from Magdalena, Hidalgo. I don't have access to the original description of ssp. fuscata which I understand was by Pfeiffer in 1837, although the original description of odieriana by Lemaire was in 1834. However in Craig, odieriana is put as a synonym of fuscata.
Anyway, my real question is whether anyone knows what fuscata ROG476 is? It comes from an area well to the west of Pachuca and is a great distance from the Veracruz border area where ROG630 comes from. Are they identical or genuinely different?

ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476   Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 7:51 pm

Hello Chris,
I have rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476 in my collection, only 3 years old. But is quite different from odieriana (Spine colour, spine lenght etc..). Rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476 from Magdalena-Hidalgo. It's completely different from odieriana, pringlei, aureiceps, mollendorffiana, mccartenii or fera rubra.

Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476 302o2z6

Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476   Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 7:52 pm

And to compare, and to show the differences clearly here's ROG630. The central spines betwene the two plants are rather different, and the number of thickness of the radials.
I'm glad I sowed the seed now.

Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476 ROG630

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476   Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria rhodantha ssp. fuscata Rog 476
Page 1 of 1