Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seed germination so far

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Seed germination so far Empty
PostSubject: Seed germination so far   Seed germination so far Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 2:55 pm

I sowed my first batches of seed in January, using the baggy method, under lights and in a propagator. I only sow the small packets of seed, but can't be bothered to count how many seeds there actually are. The table below shows my results to date. They are from various sources, and the only packet where I do know the number of seeds is the M. jamaicensis where I ordered 20 seeds.
Species Seed source No of seedlings

bombycina ML316 Michel Lacoste 9
densispina L1010 Michel Lacoste 7
dioica f. straight spines SB_1602 Le Psye Serre 14
elongata ML63 Michel Lacoste 1
erythrosperma ML322 Michel Lacoste 22
giesekei Le Psye Serre 2
glassii ML_457 Le Psye Serre 7
glassii ML_456 Le Psye Serre 7
glassii ML_461 Le Psye Serre 17
hahniana ML489 Michel Lacoste 14
halbingeri TL200 Michel Lacoste 17
halbingeri fleurs blanches TL_200 Le Psye Serre 8
huitzilopochtli cuicatlanensis fa. minnichii TL_329 Le Psye Serre 9
huitzilopochtli cuicatlanensis fa. multispina TL_327 Le Psye Serre 20
huitzilopochtli imperialis TL_185 Le Psye Serre 7
ixcatlanensis TL225B Michel Lacoste 5
jaliscana L_1044 Le Psye Serre 13
jamaicensis Areces_6399 Le Psye Serre 18
laui subducta L_1222 Le Psye Serre 3
moelleriana fleurs crèmes L_698 Le Psye Serre 4
moelleriana fleurs rouges L_1334 Le Psye Serre 4
multiseta FELKEL Michel Lacoste 12
parrasensis GM958 Michel Lacoste 14
pseudohalbingeri TL303 Michel Lacoste 13
wagneriana ML314 Michel Lacoste 12
winterae GN820 Michel Lacoste 22

I'm now waiting until it is safe to move them out, as I have the AfM seed and also some seed from an Australian supplier to sow. I've never used this last before, and some of the names were intriguing, but probably not valid ones! They include the following:

Mammillaria grahamii v. microcarpa f. minichiana
Mammillaria grusonii v mexicensis
Mammillaria minichiana
Mammillaria zecheriana
Mammillaria albicans v. dolorensis JL5883
Mammillaria odehnalii
so it will perhaps be interesting to see what these actually are (if they come up).

Last edited by Chris43 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/index.html
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Seed germination so far   Seed germination so far Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 2:57 pm

Good results Chris.
But on the bottom of your list there are a few strange names like odehnalii and zecheriana, never heard off.
Today I have sow the last seed of the year, all Afm seed and a few that I've got from friends all over the world.
Hope they germinate all

Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Seed germination so far   Seed germination so far Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 3:09 pm

Yes, those names are unusual. I was buying some seeds from this supplier anyway, and thought I'd see what some of these odd names actually produced.
zecheriana could just be a typo of zeyeriana; odehnali is listed in the mammillarias.net field number search as being discovered/named by J. Halda and coming from near San Juan de Mimbres, Nuevo Leon, but exactly what it is will remain a mystery for now. The only clue is that this location is in the area of Galeana, from which I know that pilispina, rayonensis, sanchez-mejoradae, saetigera, formosa (chionocephala), and I think a form of heyderi. No doubt there are others, but these were what I could find from Google searches.
The various seeds with minnichii or minnichiana are my attempt to find a plant that I had some 10 years ago, which was named as M. minichii no field number, and was apparently a natural hybroid between louisae and blossfeldiana, having the body of the former and the flowers of the latter. It died, and the ursery I bought it from has long since closed, and no-one I have yet met appears to have such a plant.

PostSubject: Re: Seed germination so far   Seed germination so far Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Just an update on the piltz seed.

This first batch of seed was sown on the 20 -5-08 and out of the 21 packets sown only 2 lots failed to germinate they being schiedana Rog 577 and moelleriana Rog 03a.
The 2nd batch of 38 packts was sown on the 15 - 6-08 and again only 2 lots failed to germinate they being dioica Lau 44 and deherditiana P 328.
The 3rd batch of 54 packets were sown on 5-7-08 and are looking good with most of them having germinated. They will spend another week in the propagator and then seed sowing will be finished for this year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seed germination so far   Seed germination so far Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seed germination so far
Page 1 of 1