I was able to order 110 packets from this years AfM seedlist. The first batch of 54 packets of seeds were sown on 5th April 2008 using my normal method of standing the 5cm pots of compost in boiling water, sowing the seed on to the surface and then putting to pots into a heated propagator for 3 weeks.
Usually germination will start after 7 days, depending on the species. Out of the the 54 lots sown only 2 failed to germinate, with the rest giving excellent to good germination results. M.tayloriorum K242 and K214 germinated after only 5 days. One group that was disappointing were the M.longiflora WK field numbers. I was able to get 10 different lots of these and WK 474 and WK 416 were the two packets that failed to germinate and the others, WK's 343a, 062, 143, 439, 489, 460, 437 and 055 produced only 1 or 2 seedlings each.
Another lot that was sown at the same time and is worth a mention is M.laui spp subducta ML124 which came from Doug Rowland. The pot was placed in the top left hand corner of the propagator and after 15 days shown no sign of germinating. For some reason at, 8 am, I moved the pot to the bottom right hand side of the propagator and when I checked again at 5pm the same day 5 seeds had germinated and there are now 9. The final batch will be sown this weekend, then there is the matter of a 100 packets of seed from Piltz.