Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination

Go down 
AuthorMessage

M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination Empty
PostSubject: M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination   M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination Icon_minitimeSat Dec 05, 2009 11:32 am

At the moment my M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana are flowering. I often see flowers on my Mammillarias but not fruits so I would like to help in pollination.

I know that M. Vetula is Self-sterile. I wonder if I can cross pollinate it with my M. Hahniana???

Not sure if the M. Hahniana is self-fertile of self-sterile. Any ideas?

Also, is it normal to get flowers this time of the year? With all my other cacti I started the dry winter period withdrawing water, what should I do with these two? I think that if they are flowering they need some water. I am right?

Thanks for your input!
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination   M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 5:38 pm

I'm sorry, Beba, I missed your message above.
I guess the flowers are now over, but I don't know whether M. vetula is self fertile. I suspect not, as I have flowers on my M. vetula vetula every year, but no fruits seem to come.
As for M. hahniana, I think that one might be.
I wouldn't expect a cross pollination to work, they are quite different species, not even closely related.
I still have some flowers even now on New Year's eve, in my greenhouse which is at about 6C. M. rhodantha and M. polythele have just a few on a couple of plants.

PostSubject: Re: M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination   M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 10:52 am

To pick up on the winter flowering theme. What you have to remeber is that in habitat many Mamm's flower during what is our winter and you can see this by looking at the photo gallery on the AfM web site where the date the photo was taken is shown.
What we do in the UK and Europe is to grow these plants to fit in with our financial constraints. Due to the high cost of fuel to heat our glasshouses we reduce the temperature during winter and force our plants into a sort of hibernation. Once the temperature starts to rise in spring the plants start back into grow.
Sometimes, if you get a warm period during winter a few species will start producing flowers.
In my case I have been able to maintain a higher winter temperature of 20 - 21C and it is suprising the amount of species that have started to produce flowers.
I will be going to the glasshouse later today and will make a list of the plants.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination   M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 12:39 pm

Here's the list of all the mamm's with flower buds on them today.

berkiana L1245
mercadensis Rog 722
mercadensis (brachytrichion)
jaliscana L 1048
moelleriana L 694
glassii glassii ML 641 and ML 457
picta Rog 314
pilispina ML 453
lasiacantha magallenii ML 534
lasiacantha lasiacantha SB 500 and ML 538
lasiacantha ergregia
sanchez-mejoradae MZ 1441 and Rog 497
aureilanata
lauii lauii L 1171
huitzilopochtii huitzilopochtii MZ 420
huitzilopochtii niduliformis L 1495
halbingeri P 476
albilanata oaxacana TL 195 and ML 270
columbiana yucatensis ML 373
sp ML 037, aff elegans
Rog 412a, aff haageana
Rog 360, aff haageana
roseoalba Rog 589
Lau 1135 wg.
boolii L 775
formosa formosa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination   M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M. Vetula Gracilis and M. Hahniana Pollination
Page 1 of 1