Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

David Hunt Field Collections.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

David Hunt Field Collections. Empty
PostSubject: David Hunt Field Collections.   David Hunt Field Collections. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 2:32 pm

David Hunt Field Collections. Dh_85010

The above plant is M.rhodantha ssp aureiceps DH 8504, North of Ciudad, Cerro de Chiquihuite, Mexico State. I recently obtained this from the Royal Botanical Gardens, Kew.

The question is, Does anyone else out there have any David Hunt field collections or know where I could fine any. I know that the Reppenhangen nursery lists 2 DH collections of prolifera but they never reply to E-mails or letters. Other than I have never seen any other DH plants
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: David Hunt Field Collections.   David Hunt Field Collections. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Nice to see how it divides, I've never got any of my rhodantha's to that stage. It must be a reasonably old plant.
I've never seen any DH plants in seed lists, and wonder if indeed he did distribute seed. I suspect he didn't and that his specimens were obtained for botanical analysis rather than propagation - which is a great shame if true.
Maybe now's the chance to do so, as if all the plant syou;ve obtained are of this scale, they should produce seed!

PostSubject: Re: David Hunt Field Collections.   David Hunt Field Collections. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 1:37 pm

DH informs me that he did give seed to the UK Mammillaria Society from his 1973 field trip in which he was looking at, mainly, members of the Series Heterochlorae. He thinks that M.eriacantha H.8570 was also distributed at that time.
I will attempt to get some seed from this plant this year when it flowers but I am not sure if it is self-ferile.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: David Hunt Field Collections.   David Hunt Field Collections. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

David Hunt Field Collections.
Page 1 of 1