Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae? Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae?   Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 01, 2020 1:03 am

Hello,

this mammillaria is with us for many years, it was sold to me as Mammillaria bravoae (M.hahniana ssp. bravoae), but I have doubts. Any suggestions?Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae? Img_2710
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae?   Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 11:04 am

If we stick with the m. hahniana theme, because of the long spines it could possibly be m. hahniana subsp. mendeliana.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae?   Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 2:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestion!

The central spines fit very well, the radials - not so much in my opinion, as the description of ssp. mendeliana mentions them as "short to nonexistent" which is not the case here, but this probably can be due to the individual variability.

Found the picture of it in flower:

Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae? Img_7510
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae?   Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 10:52 pm

Yes, I was concerned about the number of radial spines myself. Looking at the plant, which you say you've had for some time, it appears to be cylindrical, rather than globose, no offsetting and the flowers appear to be more of a pink shade. All attributes for m. hahniana subs. mendeliana. If you can remember where you acquired it, maybe if the seller is still around, they might be able to offer some history.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae?   Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2020 11:00 pm

Unfortunately it is not possible to track back anything as I bought it circa 15 years ago in a different country, and even then it was sold by a reseller selling labeled seedlings of somebody else. The only thing it had was a label of M.bravoae.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the suggestion, I will for now label it as a form of mendeliana with unusual radials.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae?   Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria hahniana ssp. bravoae?
Page 1 of 1