Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Empty
PostSubject: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 11:29 am

Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. 20190510 No idea what this is. Hooked, about 6cm tall. Younger spines have a  yelowish orange tint .

Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. 20190610
Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Iaaa0010
(the blurry one was taken when i was away, to be continued)

Last edited by NamelessOne on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 11:32 am

(part 2 continued, older photo).
Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. 20190310

Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. 20190110
Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. 20190311
I suspected crucigera or something pectinate. No exact ID found.

Last edited by NamelessOne on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2019 11:36 am

4. No idea. Long spines, At slightly older, the spines are even longer.Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Dsc_0310

5.Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. 20190111
Another hooked species. No bloom. Didnt change much almost a year later.
I have a couple more, but later on that
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2019 6:46 pm

Hi,

Of course we only get the difficult ones here to ID!! But its all part of the fun. Though I've got a lot of Mamms and know many species quite well, I have realised over time that differences in how plants are grown can make a fair difference to what IDs might be suggested. Those differences can come from soil, watering, light, temperatures, well like almost everything. And sometimes you get natural variances just as you do in the wild that don;t match up to our preconceptions of what a certain species should look like.

So with all the disclaimers done.....I'll stick my neck out and suggest:

Pic 1 and continued - I'd like a clearer photo of the flower of that first hooked spined plant. It looks too small to be one of the Baja Mamms, or any of the M. sheldonii/mazatlanensis complex. I'd look perhaps at something like M. rekoi instead, but the flower might be key to getting it right.

Pic 3 - what happened to plant 2? - appears to have a mealy bug infection. I thought that some of the tubercles appeared to have white grooves along from the areole, but then I saw clusters of white in places I wouldn't expect. As to species, like you not too sure, but I'd look at M. peudoperbella rather than M. crucigera.

Pic 4 - Like you I'm by no means certain, but a possible might be M. compressa ssp. centralifera.

Pic 5 - I think its one of the Stylothelae, not a crinita form though, probably something like jaliscana zacatecasensis (but central spines on this perhaps too pale) or mercadensis might fit the bill. Again some flower details would be helpful, so we might have to wait a while.

Take a look at Mammillarias.net and check some out as well as the A-Z section here.

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 4:24 am

To clarify Pic 1  is plant 1(separate hooked plant. spines are much longer than plant 2).. Pic 2 and  3  from post 1 and pic 1 from post 2 are from the same plant(plant 2. The largest of the bunch (8cm tallest one)). Pic 2 and 3 from post 2 are the same plant(number 3). Small, about 5cm tall when taken.
As for post 3, pic 1 is plant 4 and pic 2 is plant 5.
There are minor issues with your editing software when i comes to size(or my lack of preview usage).
As for mealybugs, i sprayed my plants with this insecticide preventive. White powder and such. Sticks to plants sometimes.. If anything else is fuzzy its the secondary areoles....

Last edited by NamelessOne on Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 4:41 am

As for the one you suspect is centralifera, ill post a  newer photo of the same plant. Neither the spines nor the stem look like it. It was initially among my suspects, but the spines are too different.
Also no better photo of the flower. Never seen one open fully irl, with my own phone. This was taken while i was away.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm

The image hosting service has been fine for many users, so not sure why you think we have problems - anyway we can't change it on this forum as its not in our power to do so.
Regarding the one that I wondered if it might be centralifera, maybe take a look at pettersonii and perhaps wagneriana, though the number of radial spines on your plant seem to be too few. M. vagaspina was one also that I considered.
Its a young plant by the look of it, so maybe it needs a while yet to develop its full spination?

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 10, 2019 4:31 am

Like i said, a new photo would be more useful to ID. A new photo is something i also neglected to take when doing full mammillaria collection...
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2019 7:18 pm

I think the plant in the multi pics. could well be m.duoformis. Agree with Chris on m.psuedoperbella and no.4 I think Chris's choice of m.compressa ssp. centralifera is a starter, but because the plant shown looks quite immature to me, there's the possibility of m.polythele ssp. obconella.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeWed Nov 13, 2019 11:19 am

Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. 20191144
Alright . This should be your "compressa centralifera  " and "polythele obconella". It has central spines, and doesnt lose them or have them pointing down. Plant is currently 5-6 cm high, and the spines are 2-3 cm long...
Out from those ive looked up, sonorensis made the most sense to me, but ive no idea how present that one is in wholesale...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 05, 2020 3:30 pm

No 4 looks a lot like one I have. Many with these long, twisting spines have appeared as small plants in the local chinese multistores here on the Costa Blanca. Any connection to Mam apozolensis (petetersonii group) ? They seem to become less elongated & more clumping with age.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.   Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Im new. Have unresolved ID's concering mammillaria specimens.
Page 1 of 1