Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

any idea what this big mammi is?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
xocolatl

xocolatl

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-08-21

any idea what this big mammi is?  Empty
PostSubject: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2019 6:55 am

any idea what this big mammi is?  64313210
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2019 8:50 pm

It looks like it has had pink flowers, and with bristles and hairs in the axils, I am thinking it might be an interesting form of Mammillaria mystax. My concern about that diagnosis is that I have never seen such a white form of mystax, the spines, centrals especially are usually darker. It is a very variable species though...... Did you grow it from seed?

mmartic

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2013-05-21

PostSubject: Re: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 6:27 am

Looks like a pretty classic geminispina with long spines to me ?!?
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 11:18 am

M. geminispina has many radial spines, 16-20 approx. This plant has much fewer, maybe 5 radials and the big central. I know spine counting is only an approximate guide, but that's a bit too few, I think.

xocolatl

xocolatl

PostSubject: Re: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2019 9:20 pm

thank you both Chris43 and mmartic,
The plant is not mine, it is in a pot in the garden of a GuestHouse in Galaxidi in southern Greece. It grows in an open space with lots of sun. The owners gave me 2 pups from the base. It has a stem of more than 10cm diameter, I don't know if this passes with geminispina
Back to top Go down
mmartic

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2013-05-21

PostSubject: Re: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 7:05 am

Chris43 wrote:
M. geminispina has many radial spines, 16-20 approx. This plant has much fewer, maybe 5 radials and the big central. I know spine counting is only an approximate guide, but that's a bit too few, I think.
A bit too few Sad
Pitty, overall look is geminispinical Smile
There are also similarities with some karwinskiana forms, but pink flowers...
Interesting plant anyway!!!
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2019 9:56 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with geminispina, to me it looks more nejapensis/karwinskiana related. The ring of flowers is also not geminispina-like, because geminispina usually flowers very sparingly. What the flower colour has been is difficult to say, the colour of dried flower remains is not a good indication in my opinion.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 3:48 pm

No not geminispina. I agree with wolter, more akin to karwinskiana. Could possibly be karwinskiana subsp. beiselii.
Back to top Go down
xocolatl

xocolatl

PostSubject: Re: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 7:23 am

Thanks delandmo, a thick spined form of karwinskiana subsp. beiselii looks like the best guess,
it branches from the base though, does this happen with any karwinskiana?
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi xocolati, karwinskiana will branch from the sides and/or divide dichotomously.

xocolatl likes this post

Back to top Go down
xocolatl

xocolatl

PostSubject: mine has grown, flowers are like karwinskiana   any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2022 3:38 pm

any idea what this big mammi is?  Beisel11

PVV1962 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: any idea what this big mammi is?    any idea what this big mammi is?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

any idea what this big mammi is?
Page 1 of 1