Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coryphantha margentae?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Coryphantha margentae? Empty
PostSubject: Coryphantha margentae?   Coryphantha margentae? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 9:43 am

Any body know anything re this plant. Found it on the web, from Siera Paila, but no other info - new species etc. Not list in the new Cory book by Dicht and Luthy - and they have pages of synonyms.

Coryphantha margentae? IMG_6188
Back to top Go down
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha margentae?   Coryphantha margentae? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 9:47 am

Hi Mike,
No, never heard of it, looks a bit of Cor. poselgeriana. But I must admit that I almost know nothing abaout coryphantha

Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha margentae?   Coryphantha margentae? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 9:48 am

No, I haven't heard of it before. But the references on the web suggest tat the name is current in Italy and Hungary. I suspect it is a synonym, as a lot of spurious names are being developed in these countries, from what I have seen. In various lists it is stated ot have a red flower, so that's quite limiting when it comes to Coryphanthas.
Coryphantha pseudoechinus comes from Sierra Paila, and the spination doesn't look dissimilar, except that with this margentae all the spines seem to be white, and the central points oiutward rather than upwards as is described with pseudoechinus. However spine colour variation alone isn't really enough to differentiate a whole species, and besides pseudoechinus has a red flower as well.
So my suspicion is that it should be a synonym of pseudoechinus, but its a nice form. Look at the picture #2 on P136 of Dicht and Luthy and though the spination is tighter, as it would be in habitat, I certainly think there are similarities.

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha margentae?   Coryphantha margentae? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 9:51 am

Thanks Chris. I was too quick, hoping it was a new one, so didn't compare with mine. You are probably right re pseudooechinus. here it is with pseudo laui in back and pusilliflora (ref to pseudo) in front.
But prettier spintaion, whiter and longer.
Mike
Coryphantha margentae? IMG_6343
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha margentae?   Coryphantha margentae? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coryphantha margentae?
Page 1 of 1