Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeTue Dec 04, 2018 11:27 am

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia 02122013
Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia 02122012
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Great photos, showing very well the beauty of these little plants!!

PVV1962

PVV1962

Number of posts : 587
Registration date : 2016-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Nice pictures. I like it.
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeWed Dec 05, 2018 8:52 pm

What is the origin of the seed? Any locality data? I doubt that it is an egregia, it looks more like a form of M. lasiacantha or M. stella-de-tacubaya, or a hybrid.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
PVV1962

PVV1962

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2018 10:28 am

Just egregia.
It seems that the plants under this name are distributed according to Ukrainian collections.
These I sowed myself. I suspect that the provider is the same.

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia M_egre10

And these I got as a gift from a friend, from the Northern regions.

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia M_egre11

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia M_egre12

As we can see in the photo, there is no characteristic umbrella radial spines.
Or am I mistaken?
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeThu Dec 06, 2018 6:12 pm

The true egregia grows between Parral and Jimenez. In the Mesa Garden seed list you will find it under MG 633 with field number SB 30, west of Jimenez, Chih. An old (2003) seed list also contained MG 633.1, M. egregia GL 20, Santa Eulalia, Chih., but in my opinion, that is actually M. stella-de-tacubaya (however, egregia and stella are strongly related, and perhaps egregia should be a subspecies of stella-de-tacubaya).
M. egregia has its spines completely flat against the plant body, it is a wonderful plant, and I once read in the Cactus and Succulent Journal (US), that it is the Mercedes under the Mammillarias! (although I prefer Audi...).

Near Naica and Camargo I have found plants which come quite close to M. egregia (spines almost completely appressed, just as in egregia), but still I think that they are M. stella-de-tacubaya.

If you scroll down on Maurillo's pages (https://mammillaria.forumotion.net/t1181-mammillaria-lasiacantha?highlight=lasiacantha) you will find the SB30 plants. There is also a photo of egregia from Villa Insurgentes, but that certainly is not an egregia, that is M. stella-de-tacubaya.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 8:24 am

This is my Mammillaria egregia SB30. As Wolter mentioned, the spine distribution is very flat, almost like M. herrerae.
Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Mammil10

EDIT: I went back to my records and noticed the reference for this plant is NOT SB30, but rather MK 160.461 (Ciudad Jimenez, CHI), from seed sold by Dohnalik in 2011. Still fits the description.
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 12:12 pm

Chris43 wrote:
Great photos, showing very well the beauty of these little plants!!

Thank you Smile The fact they stay compact for years is especially pleasant as I only have a single sunny windowsill for all of them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 12:23 pm

woltertenhoeve wrote:
What is the origin of the seed? Any locality data? I doubt that it is an egregia, it looks more like a form of M. lasiacantha or M. stella-de-tacubaya, or a hybrid.

Wolter ten Hoeve.

I bought them from a famous Ukrainian breeder Sergey Miroshnichenko. In his plant list, it just goes as Mammillaria egregia, without locality data.

Well, yes, I quite agree that it can hardly be a real M. egregia, as it has nothing in common with SB 30. Probably, a variation of M. lasiacantha.

As for M. stella-de-tacubaya, they've got crooked central spines, haven't they?
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeFri Dec 07, 2018 7:14 pm

I have added a few photos from plants in habitat, M. egregia as well as M. stella-de-tacubaya.
M. stella-de-tacubaya often has hooked central spines, but not always. You can observe that in nature, as well as in cultivation. Between Nazas and Rodeo, at one and the same location, I found stellas without any hooked spines, and with hooked spines. In the region north and west of Nazas, the hooked spines are quite common (broadly speaking, WTH 242, 310 and 726 are from that region), but in locations further away, they are sometimes completely absent.

Wolter ten Hoeve.

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Img_0410
M. stella-de-tacubaya WTH 527, Valparaiso (between Fresnillo and Sombrerete), no hooked centrals seen in habitat

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Img_0510
M. stella-de-tacubaya WTH 533, east of Cuencamé, no hooked centrals seen in habitat

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Img_3510
M. stella-de-tacubaya WTH 726, south of Alamillo, only plants with hooked centrals seen in habitat

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Img_6610
M. stella-de-tacubaya WTH 242, Nazas - Rodeo, most plants with hooked centrals, but some plants without any hooks

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Img_0810
M. stella-de-tacubaya WTH 310, north of San Pedro del Gallo, most plants with hooked centrals, but some plants without any hooks

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Img_0610
M. stella-de-tacubaya WTH 415, east of Camargo, no hooked centrals seen in habitat (this taxon is close to egregia)

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Img_0611
M. stella-de-tacubaya WTH 1200, south of Naica, no hooked centrals seen in habitat (this taxon is close to egregia)

Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Img_0811
M. egregia WTH 413, between Jimenez and Parral
Back to top Go down
PVV1962

PVV1962

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2018 8:30 am

Wolter ten Hoeve.
You are right without information about the place where we can't figure out what.
Thank you for correspondence travel.

Z, in sunny Lisbon.
SB 30, and as it turned out MK 160.461, very elegant and recognizable plants.
I've been paying attention to them.
Smile .
Vladimir.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia   Mammillaria lasiacantha ssp. egregia Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1