Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria egregia

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria egregia Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria egregia   Mammillaria egregia Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 2:02 pm

I received this plant as M. egregia but to me it more looks like 'ordinary' M. lasiacantha. Would like to hear your opinion.

Wiebe

Mammillaria egregia Dsc8519
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria egregia   Mammillaria egregia Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 4:01 pm

I'd agree with you, Wiebe, as the spines of ssp. egregia are supposed to be very neat and flat to the plant body. Your plant's spines stick out rather more than ssp. egregia is supposed to do.
In his latest reduction, Hunt has scrapped all the subspecies of lasiacantha because of the difficulty in really separating them just on spines, as there are a variety of forms.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria egregia   Mammillaria egregia Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 3:28 pm

Thanks Chris. I was not aware of the lumping by Hunt of all the ssp into one (variable) species.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria egregia   Mammillaria egregia Icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2012 3:52 pm

My personal view is that sometimes lumping is overdone. One of these days someone will give a clear set of rules for separating one (or more) population(s) as a subspecies. I know that some degree of fuzziness is only to be expected in plants, as many are intrinsicly variable. But, to help we poor amateurs understand some botanists decisions, and to get some order into classification, at the very least some clear framework should exist.
I'd hope, as botany is an established discipline, that it does, but it doesn' t appear to be publicly available.
If any professional botanists read this forum, do come out and help me, and maybe others, understand.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria egregia   Mammillaria egregia Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria egregia
Page 1 of 1