Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A couple of mamms in late summer.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

A couple of mamms in late summer. Empty
PostSubject: A couple of mamms in late summer.   A couple of mamms in late summer. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 28, 2018 1:20 am

My flowering season is over but still nice to look at....Just repotted

voburensis v eichlamii?

A couple of mamms in late summer. P1110810

A couple of mamms in late summer. P1110811

And scrippsiana    Not repotted for 6 years.. It's reaching unmanageable proportions now.  What to do with it??

A couple of mamms in late summer. P1110812
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: A couple of mamms in late summer.   A couple of mamms in late summer. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 01, 2018 1:34 pm

That's a tall plant, #1, and looks likely to be as you said, but I'm not great at distinguishing the karwinskiana/voburnensis subspecies.

As for the 2nd.....what a great plant, only solution is something like a dustbin lid!

....and a touch of weedkiller for the oxalis. I use a glyphosate solution, and just paint the top leaves with an art paint brush. Doesn't seem to affect the main plant, though I was worried about it leaching out of the dying plant, but its supposed to be rendered ineffective when it gets to soil.

PostSubject: Re: A couple of mamms in late summer.   A couple of mamms in late summer. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2018 12:15 am

Hi Chris,

Yes the oxalis can be difficult to eradicate. I have a large Notocactus magnifica with some oxalis in it but a different species - the bulbous kind. I have painted glyphosate on it at least 6 times and each time it disappears for a while only to pop up again later!
I know a member of the local CAS society here who sprays the weeds among his succulents with glyphosate - weeds, succulents and all - and told me the herbicide does not affect the plants as their waxy cuticle prevents any penetration. I tried this on a bed of Senecio and it seems to have worked. No apparent damage to the plants. Not sure if I would do that on valuable plants though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A couple of mamms in late summer.   A couple of mamms in late summer. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A couple of mamms in late summer.
Page 1 of 1