Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

M. plumosa and soils

Go down 
AuthorMessage

M. plumosa and soils Empty
PostSubject: M. plumosa and soils   M. plumosa and soils Icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 pm

I have 2 M. plumosa which I understand can rot off their roots if overwatered. I am a heavy handed waterer, and I am wondering if a course draining mix will serve plumosa better around here. I use 2, straight pumice and Al's Gritty Mix or a variant thereof. My gritty mix is 1/3 pumice, 1/3 chicken grit, and 1/3 fine wood chips.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: M. plumosa and soils   M. plumosa and soils Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2017 1:52 pm

You're right that it can rot if the roots are kept too wet. It can be quite sensitive.
I'm sure that straight pumice would be OK, especially if it isn't too fine. But I would worry a bit about the wood chips, as if they are fine they might bind together and clog up free drainage, which is what I believe M. plumose likes.
I have seen it in habitat, growing on steep rocky slopes in Huasteca Canyon near Monterrey, NL, which is mostly limestone rocks, in cracks where it can get its fleshy roots into accumulated grit and humus. This says to me it likes free draining mixes.

PostSubject: Re: M. plumosa and soils   M. plumosa and soils Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Pumice it is. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: M. plumosa and soils   M. plumosa and soils Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M. plumosa and soils
Page 1 of 1