Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ID Mammillaria please.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

ID Mammillaria please. Empty
PostSubject: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 2:48 pm

Thanks.

ID Mammillaria please. Mir_2010

ID Mammillaria please. Mir_2011

ID Mammillaria please. Mir_2012

ID Mammillaria please. Mir_2013
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 10:58 am

I think it is M. moelleriana. There are cream flowered form of this also, sometimes called M. cowperae, but this look sot be like the normal species.

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks Chris43
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 7:30 pm

Chris43 wrote:
I think it is M. moelleriana. There are cream flowered form of this also, sometimes called M. cowperae, but this look sot be like the normal species.

¿Y Bombycina?
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 4:05 pm

I am not 100% certain that it is M. moelleriana, because the number of radial spines is on the low side for M. moelleriana. On the other hand, M. bombycina would be expected to have a more woolly appearance, but maybe, your plant is not in a very sunny position. Are there any field data attached to the plant?

Regards,

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 5:40 pm

woltertenhoeve wrote:
I am not 100% certain that it is M. moelleriana, because the number of radial spines is on the low side for M. moelleriana. On the other hand, M. bombycina would be expected to have a more woolly appearance, but maybe, your plant is not in a very sunny position. Are there any field data attached to the plant?

Regards,

Wolter ten Hoeve.
this has full sun avoiding the central hours
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 5:55 pm

fran43 wrote:
woltertenhoeve wrote:

Regards,

Wolter ten Hoeve.
this has full sun avoiding the central hours

ID Mammillaria please. Mir_2014
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 4:57 pm

I must admit that I discounted M. bombycina on the basis that it looked a largish plant, and hadn't offset. M. bombycina does tend to offset very happily. On the side of M. bombycina is that it has the lower number of central spines, whereas the description of M. moelleriana calls for 8-10 centrals, though my own plants don't have anywhere near that many, typically about 6. Your plant appears to have at least up to 5, on some areoles.

If it offsets soon, then we'll know, as M. moelleriana doesn't offset, at least not anywhere near as readily as M. bombycina.

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeTue May 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Chris43 wrote:
I must admit that I discounted M. bombycina on the basis that it looked a largish plant, and hadn't offset. M. bombycina does tend to offset very happily. On the side of M. bombycina is that it has the lower number of central spines, whereas the description of M. moelleriana calls for 8-10 centrals, though my own plants don't have anywhere near that many, typically about 6. Your plant appears to have at least up to 5, on some areoles.

If it offsets soon, then we'll know, as M. moelleriana doesn't offset, at least not anywhere near as readily as M. bombycina.
thanks Chris43
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 5:48 pm

I agree with Chris that M. bombycina offsets readily, so if it does not produce offsets, it will be M. moelleriana (or a hybrid).
Attached are a few photos of some of my seed-grown moellerianas/cowperaes.
The first image is of M. moelleriana, about 30 years of age, 25 cm high and 11 cm diameter. It would have been even higher if its own weight had not caused it to bend and contract in the lower, not visible part. The third image is of a similar, marginally smaller plant, which looks as if it starts dichotomous division.
The second image is of a 19-year old M. moelleriana Lau 698.
The forth image is of a 20-year old M. cowperae P456.
The fifth image is of a 7-year old M. moelleriana from Sierra Organos. Flowercolour ranges from light pink to dark pink (as in this plant).

None of these plants has ever produced an offset.

Wolter ten Hoeve.

ID Mammillaria please. Img_0010
ID Mammillaria please. Img_0011
ID Mammillaria please. Img_0012
ID Mammillaria please. Img_0013
ID Mammillaria please. Img_0014
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 7:24 pm

woltertenhoeve wrote:
I agree with Chris that M. bombycina offsets readily, so if it does not produce offsets, it will be M. moelleriana (or a hybrid).
Attached are a few photos of some of my seed-grown moellerianas/cowperaes.
The first image is of M. moelleriana, about 30 years of age, 25 cm high and 11 cm diameter. It would have been even higher if its own weight had not caused it to bend and contract in the lower, not visible part. The third image is of a similar, marginally smaller plant, which looks as if it starts dichotomous division.
The second image is of a 19-year old M. moelleriana Lau 698.
The forth image is of a 20-year old M. cowperae P456.
The fifth image is of a 7-year old M. moelleriana from Sierra Organos. Flowercolour ranges from light pink to dark pink (as in this plant).

None of these plants has ever produced an offset.

Wolter ten Hoeve.

ID Mammillaria please. Img_0010
ID Mammillaria please. Img_0011
ID Mammillaria please. Img_0012
ID Mammillaria please. Img_0013
ID Mammillaria please. Img_0014

Thanks, fantastics photos.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ID Mammillaria please.   ID Mammillaria please. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down