Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

help -mammillaria

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

help -mammillaria  Empty
PostSubject: help -mammillaria    help -mammillaria  Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2015 9:12 pm

sorry for my english which is not very good.
I need help with naming my Mammillarias

1. M. parkinsonii / M. hageana ???
help -mammillaria  DSC08331a

help -mammillaria  DSC08334a

help -mammillaria  DSC08409a

help -mammillaria  DSC08410a

help -mammillaria  DSC08413a

help -mammillaria  DSC07594a

help -mammillaria  DSC07598a

help -mammillaria  DSC07790a

help -mammillaria  DSC06506a

help -mammillaria  DSC06508a
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

help -mammillaria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: help -mammillaria    help -mammillaria  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 12:13 pm

The forum seems to have gone to sleep, so I'll have a go at some of your plants.

#1 - not sure exactly. It looks like M. haageana but normally that doesn't divide dichotomously. However the spine colour doesn't look like M. parkinsonii, which usually is white-cream with darker tips. But still, I think parkinsoni is more likely than haageana. Has it flowered? that will tell you.
#2 is M. karwinskiana ssp. nejapensis, I think.
#3 - photo 1 of these 2 has M. spinosissima on the right, the darker straight spined plant. The two others in the pot are possibly forms of M. rekoi? yellow hooked spined.
#4 - I am not certain, but this looks like a form of M. bella (or M. nunezii ssp. bella).
#5 - I am certain, this is M. polythele, though not a typical one, but this species is very variable. The only thing I haven't seen before on this species is that the axils are not woolly, but appear to have short bristles.

I hope that others will add their views.

maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

help -mammillaria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: help -mammillaria    help -mammillaria  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Another suggestion for n.1 could be Mammillaria morganiana.....

help -mammillaria  7115-211

help -mammillaria  7115-210
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

help -mammillaria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: help -mammillaria    help -mammillaria  Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 4:46 pm

I agree, Maurillio, that is also possible, maybe if it flowers we can decide?

help -mammillaria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: help -mammillaria    help -mammillaria  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 12:04 pm

thank you very much
nr1 looks like  Mammillaria morganiana
these are new plants and i dont not know how they bloom

sry for my english-i use google translator Wink
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

help -mammillaria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: help -mammillaria    help -mammillaria  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 2:00 pm

I do not consider M. parkinsonii and M. morganiana as really separate species. They grow in more or less the same region (about 25 km from each other), and as far as I am concerned, M. morganiana may be just a local variant of M. parkinsonii.
Attached are a few photos of M. parkinsonii and M. morganiana in habitat. They look very whitish, but the remarkable thing is that my seedlings from both locations are much darker spined than the plants in habitat, i.e. the top half of the spines is reddish-brown, whereas in nature it is only the tip that is reddish-brown. I guess that the large amount of sunshine in nature produces whiter spined plants than in the greenhouse.
The first photo is from M. morganiana WTH 862 (from the Bucareli region), the second and third are from M. parkinsonii WTH 954 (from near Higueras). They grow less than 20 km from each other.
A couple of years ago I donated seeds of M. morganiana WTH 862 to the AfM seed fund and perhaps some readers have seed-grown plants of it and can comment on the colour of the spines(I have only 1 morganiana seedling).

As with almost all unlabelled plants it remains difficult to attach a name to it, unless the origin of the seed from which the plant was grown is known. Therefore, I would label your plant as 'M. parkinsonii?'.

Wolter ten Hoeve, The Netherlands.

help -mammillaria  Img_6011

help -mammillaria  Img_7310

help -mammillaria  Img_7311
Back to top Go down

help -mammillaria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: help -mammillaria    help -mammillaria  Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2015 3:09 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply. The person from whom I bought this plant is a huge fan of Gymnocalycium and have not paid attention to the name mammillaria

i have one more unnamed Mammillaria
help -mammillaria  DSC08646a

help -mammillaria  DSC08645a

help -mammillaria  DSC08644a

help -mammillaria  DSC08643a

help -mammillaria  DSC08641a

help -mammillaria  DSC08640a
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

help -mammillaria  Empty
PostSubject: Re: help -mammillaria    help -mammillaria  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down