Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Confirmation required please

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Confirmation required please Empty
PostSubject: Confirmation required please   Confirmation required please Icon_minitimeTue Jan 21, 2014 9:18 pm

Happy New Year to everyone! This plant was identified as M. carmenae but what I would be interested to know is if it could be a "rubrispina" and if so does this mean that it is not what I would call an original but a hybrid? (Does that make sense?) scratch 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@N05/9314895971/in/set-72157634699170356/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89973039@N05/9317682704/in/set-72157634699170356/
Sorry to have used a link but there seems to be a problem with the image hosting.

Susi
Back to top Go down
Anthony 1

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-03-13

PostSubject: Re: Confirmation required please   Confirmation required please Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 11:33 am

Hello Susi
I would say no to your suggestion of M. carmenae rubrispina, though it is a difficult one to I.D. according to the illustration in John Pilbeams monograph since the one shown there has no trace of red spines.

Hope that helps

Anthony 1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Confirmation required please   Confirmation required please Icon_minitimeThu Jan 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Thank you Anthony, I think that I will just use M. carmenae for reference then. I collect for myself and not any commercial reasons but am trying to name all of them as accurately as I possibly can. Having said that I keep records of all of my plants and it is for this that I like to be as precise as possible. Thank you once again for your reply.

Susi

(I notice that the image hoster is working tonight, when I posted it wasn't working which is why I had to use the link) confused
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Confirmation required please   Confirmation required please Icon_minitimeWed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 am

Sorry to be late in this conversation, but I have been on vacation.
I think the use of just M. carmenae is the best way to go. Certainly plants of M. carmenae are around that have reddish spines, or some that are, giving the plant a reddish appearance. But I had always assumed that these were horticultural products, and while they might come true from seed now, the epithet 'rubrispina' should be only used if one wants to specifically say they are the result of horticultural selection.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Confirmation required please   Confirmation required please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Confirmation required please
Page 1 of 1