Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig   Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:29 pm

The Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig- I have found an old second hand copy of this book and am very tempted to buy it, but would like to know if anyone who may already have it could give some information, i.e. does he give the minimum temps. or precise description of habitats of the plants, as this is one of the things that I am looking for as well as being able to identify (or at least trying) some of my plants. Thank you for any information or advice.

Susi
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 338
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig   Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 7:17 pm

Photos in Craig's book are B/W and not always of very good quality. The book lists numerous species, many of which have been synonymized in later years. For each species the characteristics of the plant body, tubercles, areoles, spines, flowers, fruits, etc. are given. Other features given are the distribution and the type locality.
There is no information about minimum temperatures or type of habitat in the book.
I would not consider the Craig book very useful for identifying unknown Mammillarias.

Wolter ten Hoeve, Assen, The Netherlands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig   Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Thank you for that Wolter, I'll probably give it a miss then. How about Cactus and Succulents by Graham Charles?

Susi
Back to top Go down
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 537
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig   Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 11:10 am

Hello, Susi

It seems like the book you are looking for is John Pilbeam's Mammillaria. Not cheap but well worth the money, you can find it here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mammillaria-John-Pilbeam/dp/0952830280/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380621861&sr=8-2&keywords=pilbeam+mammillaria

for example. Look around and you may find it cheaper elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig   Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria Handbook by R.T.Craig
Page 1 of 1