Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria machuca

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria machuca Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria machuca   Mammillaria machuca Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 4:25 am

I have a Mammillaria named machuca i find that it is a form of spinosissma should i name the plant as Mammillaria spinosissma var manana or some thing else
Cheers Arthur
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria machuca   Mammillaria machuca Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 12:11 pm

There is a lot of confusion about the name M. machucae. It is an invalid name for a form of M. spinosissima, but has been used for what is now correctly called M. manana.

It was a Senor Machuca who found M. manana, and it is a white spined, pink flowered, member of the Stylothelae, but rarely displays obviously hooked spines. It forms round heads, and offsets very easily. The flowers are a light pink, and nowhere as dark as M. spinosissima flowers are.

So, I guess the question is which plant you have. Certainly M. manana is featured in the section Mammillarias A to Z here, as well as in a number of other topics. Can you post a photo of your plant, or if not, then describe it so that we can help you sort out which is the right name for your plant.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria machuca   Mammillaria machuca Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 12:09 am

Mammillaria machuca P4300015
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria machuca   Mammillaria machuca Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 12:11 am

Mammillaria machuca P4300016
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria machuca   Mammillaria machuca Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 12:14 am

Hi Chris
I hope this helps, this is a young plant that i had given to me by a friend i belive that it has a pink flower which is very atractive

Cheers Arthur
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria machuca   Mammillaria machuca Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 am

The photos makes it easy, it is M. manana. Nice plant.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria machuca   Mammillaria machuca Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 am

Thank you Chris
After you where saying about the hooked spine i garbed the lens and had a closer look at the plant and could see the hooked spine well done

Cheers Arthur
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria machuca   Mammillaria machuca Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria machuca
Page 1 of 1