Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

San Francisco member

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

San Francisco member Empty
PostSubject: San Francisco member   San Francisco member Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 3:52 am

Thank you Hugo for your welcome message. I am a long time cactus hobbiest dating back to the mid 1950s but I really didn't get started collecting many plants until the 1970s after which I amassed a large collection, mostly of my very favorites, Mammillarias. The years from about 2000-2010 I sadly neglected my collection and lost many plants while others languished with no repotting or care other than water.

What have I let happen to my beautiful collection of plants that I truly love? It is tiime to regroup and put some good effort into my plants and that's where I am now, madly repotting into new soil mix that I make up myself, weeding out dead plants and weeds. I see many of your beautiful collections and hope someday that mine will rival them.

I am about 20 miles north of San Francisco where the weather is very different than in "the city". We have little fog and bright warm summer weather with rarely more than a few days over 100 deg F. Winter temperatures give us some light or medium frosts although I have seen 18 deg. F here.

I have an 8 x 12 foot greenhouse, unheated other than an electric heater for those very cold nights should they occur and am erecting another greenhouse, an 8 x 10 foot which should give me some room to grow.

After growing many different genera such as Mamms, Notocactus, Gymnos, some Ferocactus and Echinocereus and a few others I will now concentrate on Mammillarias and wish to build up my collection with some interesting new Mammillarias. I am happy to have found this forum and only wish I could jet around to see all of your collections.

Best,
Steve Stephens
San Anselmo, CA USA

Last edited by Steve Stephens on Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: San Francisco member   San Francisco member Icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi Steve, and welcome.

I think many of us here went through a number of other genera before we came to Mammillaria in a more significant way. Good luck with the regeneration project, I know how difficult this can be, but also very rewarding.

jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: San Francisco member   San Francisco member Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 9:09 am

Welcome, Steve. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: San Francisco member   San Francisco member Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Chris and jfabiao, I also thank you for your welcome. I see wonderful collections here and I love your photos and blog jfabiao although I would have to dig deep to remember my spanish from high school.

My repotting has continued and even though it is late in the year perhaps to be repotting I have, in the past, seemed to have good luck repotting in or near the winter.

I will forcefully hose off the old soil, allow the roots to dry for several days, then put in fresh solid just slightly damp and not water for some time. I do hope this will work for me as I would hate to lose more plants than my 10 years of neglect has caused me to lose. I think I am on my way to successfully resurrecting my collection and it's almost time to start looking for some of the Mamms that I have lost or never had.

Best,
Steve Stephens
San Anselmo, CA
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: San Francisco member   San Francisco member Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

San Francisco member
Page 1 of 1