Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Coryphantha growing 1km from my house

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Coryphantha growing 1km from my house Empty
PostSubject: Coryphantha growing 1km from my house   Coryphantha growing 1km from my house Icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 5:46 pm

Hi everybody !

Maybe some Coryphantha lovers are around here, in that case maybe they will be able to help me with this population of Coryphantha growing just near myplace, in central Mexico, 50 km East of Mexico City.

If not, wel just enjoy the pictures, taken in the wet season, so full of grass and flowers. I love this kind of conrast.

About the names, i was thinking about Coryphantha georgii, Coryphantha connivens or Coryphantha delaetiana, but all these species are supposed to grow a lot norther .. any ideas ?

Coryphantha growing 1km from my house 9170811002702

Coryphantha growing 1km from my house 2121381002699

Coryphantha growing 1km from my house 4820471002734

Coryphantha growing 1km from my house 6568221002735

Coryphantha growing 1km from my house 1222021002736

have a nice day !
Damien
Back to top Go down
agrippa

agrippa

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha growing 1km from my house   Coryphantha growing 1km from my house Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 2:42 am

Nice plants, and photos too. Pity you missed flowers. Keep monitoring the area. I have no strong suggestions about the species so far. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha growing 1km from my house   Coryphantha growing 1km from my house Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 6:32 am

Hi,

You know the Flora del valle de Mexico? There are keys in spanish to identify the wild Cactus (and other wild plants) of Mexico city, the east of Estado de Mexico and the south of Hidalgo. Using the keys in that book your Coryphantha looks like Coryphantha cornifera. But I'm not 100% sure.

p.s. the white/pinkish flowers on your first photo probably are Oxalis jacquiniana
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha growing 1km from my house   Coryphantha growing 1km from my house Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:20 pm

In the area about 50kms east of Mexico City you might find three Coryphantha species - C. ottonis, C. pycnacantha and C. elephantidens.

I think that your plant is C. ottonis, though it isn;t as heavily spined as I have seen it in Guanajuato and Durango. According to the book on Coryphantha by Dicht and Luthy, that weaker spination is typical of forms of C. ottonis that grow near Mexico City.

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha growing 1km from my house   Coryphantha growing 1km from my house Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 6:51 pm

I went wrong in the key in the flora del valle de Mexico, because I didn't see any glands at the base of the grooves. But now I think I can see the glands on your photo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha growing 1km from my house   Coryphantha growing 1km from my house Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Thanks for your ideas and the mexican identification key, this is gonna be helpfull !

wel, abut my plant, i think this might be a C. ottonis, but the two central spines of my plants might not correspond to the desciption of a normal c. ottonis ...
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha growing 1km from my house   Coryphantha growing 1km from my house Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 8:55 pm

According to Dicht and Luty, C,. ottinis is described as solitary, globose to short cylindrical, axils woolly with glands, aeoles round, white woolly in youth, radial spines 8-12, th eupper ones somewhat thinner, 9-11mm long, central spines 1-3, rarely 4, the lower sometimes curved downwards, upper ones (2-3) pointing upward.

In the comments, they say that southeast of the distribution area (Puebla, Tlaxcala, Mexico, Hidalgo) forms with sparser spination and only 1-2 central spines can be found.

So what is "normal"?

Normal to me just means the popualtion of plants from which the species was first collected, and thereby introduced into cultivation. In my experience, "normal" is not what you find in habitat - where you find all kinds of variations.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coryphantha growing 1km from my house   Coryphantha growing 1km from my house Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coryphantha growing 1km from my house
Page 1 of 1