Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Which Mammillaria is this one

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Which Mammillaria is this one Empty
PostSubject: Which Mammillaria is this one   Which Mammillaria is this one Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 12:54 pm

This one seems to take various forms and shapes. Which one is it ?

Andreas

Which Mammillaria is this one P1060410
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Which Mammillaria is this one   Which Mammillaria is this one Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 10:54 pm

Suggest it may be a form of M. Karwinskiana.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Which Mammillaria is this one   Which Mammillaria is this one Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:23 am

Not sure about karwinskiana, as this species has either 0 or 1 central spines usually, and usually bristeles are more evident that wool in the axils.
Spine-wise and wool-wise it looks more to me like a scrippsiana, but not certain.

PostSubject: Re: Which Mammillaria is this one   Which Mammillaria is this one Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:22 am

Thanks you both for your input. I will tend to agree with Chris on this one as I have examined several pictures of scrippsiana and this seems to be closer to the one that I have.

Andreas
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which Mammillaria is this one   Which Mammillaria is this one Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 6:27 pm

I would not discard totally M.karwinskiana and offer spp beiselii has a suggestion. This looks very much like a Micheal Lacoste collection which I have. A picture of the plant in flower would help.
I'm afraid I cannot offer a picture of my plant yet has I am away from the collection until the end of Feburary.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Which Mammillaria is this one   Which Mammillaria is this one Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 7:21 pm

Hey, Tam, good to see you're on line again!
I think you are right not to discard karwinskiana totally, but it's not my first choice, largely because the plant shown has 2 centrals, and no obvious bristles. At least the top central looks like a central to me rather than a strong radial.
Hopefully it will flower and we can be more definitive.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Mammillaria is this one   Which Mammillaria is this one Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Mammillaria is this one
Page 1 of 1