Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )   Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 8:20 am

First description by Thomas Linzen in Mitteilungsblatt des Arbeitskreis für Mammillarienfreunde 3/2005 134-145.
Body: Single, sometimes branching, depressed globose to almost globose, 4 - 8 cm in diameter and 3 - 8 cm high. Shiny dark green.
Roots: Thick, pulpous.
Sap: With watery sap.
Tubercule: Short cylindrical to conical, truncated top, 1,5 to 2 cm long, 0,8 to 1,2 cm in diameter. Spreading laterally somewhat compressed.
Axil: Naked .
Radial spine: (7) 9 - 11, thin, acicular, needle like, with darkbrown tip. Almost radiating horizontally, white-yellowish, later becoming greyish, 6 - 16 mm long.
Central spine: Absent.
Flower: Funnel form, 4 - 5 cm long and 4 - 6 cm in diameter. Sulphur yellow.
Fruit: Globose to little oval, 6 - 8 mm in diameter and about 9 mm long, dark green, later becoming green yellowish.
Seed:Drop-shaped, 2,0 - 2,3 mm long; 1,5 - 1,8 mm wide, black. Basal to subbasal
Habitat Substrate: On meadows with flat, strongly weather beaten lime rocks, in holes and sheltered by grass and moss.
Geographic Distribution: Mexico, San Luis Potosi near Mpio, Guadalcazar and Realejo.
Comments: Differs from the other species of dolichothele by having only radial spines, rounded form of the buds, building two rows of inner petals, globose fruits, the biggest seed in this group and a very rainy habitat separated from the other species of this series
Bibliography: AfM 3/2005

Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) 2007_010
photo: W. Hellinx

Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Mjrfo3

ento

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )   Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 2:19 pm

Flower

Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) 2j4ub9e
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )   Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2009 4:20 pm

Excellent! Thanks for sharing this lovely flower.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )   Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 11:46 am

Central spine or not. I view this has nothing more than an extension of the population / habitat of M.sphaerica from Tamauilpas into SLP. I belive that given time more populations will be found inbetween.
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )   Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 6:48 pm

One of my M. paulii's does produce an occasional central spine!

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )   Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 7:40 pm

It could just be an outlying population, only 120km as the crow flies from your WTH564, Wolter. That's not far for a species whose distribution starts some 400km away in Texas.

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )   Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 8:51 pm

In AfM issue 3, 2005, Thomas Linzen considers M. melaleuca as the closest relative of M. paulii. I think that he is probably right.
M. paulii grows at a rather high altitude of 2000 meters and in a rather wet region. M. sphaerica grows at a much lower altitude and on the opposite side of the Sierra Madre Oriental where it is drier. M. melaleuca grows in the mountains near Miquihuana (it is still on my wish list to observe it in habitat) and, according to Thomas Linzen, in a similar habitat as M. paulii. The distance between M. paulii and M. melaleuca is a bit less than the M. paulii - M. sphaerica distance.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )   Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Thanks Wolter, that article was before I joined the AfM. Geographically, I can understand the logic. However, the similarities in spination and flower between sphaerica and paulii suggest otherwise, to a non-botanist at least, unless it is just a case of parallel development.

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )   Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 11:38 am

Taken today just to show the plants together. The ML 684 seed came from Lacoste via the Doug Rowland 2007 seed list, sown 25-2-07 and germniated 8-3-07. I have 4 of these plants remaining of which 2 plants have centrals ( one shown below ) and the other two plants do not.
Having looked at the plants this morning I can see why TL places them near M.melaleuca and given what wolter says about the habitats I would reaccess and place M.paulii n.n. has a form of M.melaleuca untill otherwise.

Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Mixed_10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )   Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen ) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria paulii sp. nov. ( Linzen )
Page 1 of 1