Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines. Empty
PostSubject: Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines.   Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 9:16 am

Just wondering how many Mamms have soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spination? I know of plumosa, carmenae, theresae, hernandezii, luethyi, saboae (kind of like it... but not very...). I have one whose soft fan shaped spines are on long tubercles. I'm leaning towards carmenae because the new growth is emerging yellow, but the plant is new and was poorly grown in the early stages (so radials in poor condition... lots of overhead watering here in winter etc). I have carmenae as well for comparison and decided there was enough of a difference to be inconclusive. Maybe it's a carmenae hybrid???

New growth:

Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines. Unknow13

Old damaged growth:

Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines. Unknow14
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines.   Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 1:30 pm

There are a number of hybrids between M. carmenae and M. laui, which exhibit variable spination. Is it an offsetting plant, and has it flowered yet?
There are also plumose forms of M. schiedeana, which might have the longer tubercles, but I'd like to see the whole plant as well as just the spines.

PostSubject: Re: Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines.   Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm

Thanks Chris. Can't tell you much about it yet as I've had it under a week. At the moment it's a small solitary plant approx 4cm high and wide. I imagine it will begin to offset with more age. The tubercles are approx 10-13mm long. I'll try for a whole plant photo over the next day or so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines.   Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 01, 2010 2:19 pm

maybe not that long.. 7-10mm looks more realistic on 2nd thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines.   Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soft fan shaped, plumosa-like spines.
Page 1 of 1