Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help for Future Identification?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Help for Future Identification? Empty
PostSubject: Help for Future Identification?   Help for Future Identification? Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm not sure if this should go here or not. It's not just for Mamm identification though.
I've posted this question on another forum, but only one person replied and liked my suggestions, not really adding anything.
What do you all put on your plant tags? Do you put a number that corresponds to information in a log book? Or do you put all info on the tag?
Some of the info I'd LOVE to keep on each plant would be
Latin Name (one at least... maybe just the latest Wink
Common Name (possibly)
Origin (contry or location)
Source (Company/person purchased/received from)
Date sown or received
Flowering time (Season, month or even AM/PM)
Watering time (When heavy, when light and when not at all)
Maybe flower color

What do you think? What do you all use or do? A combo of Tag and Log book?
Any other info that may be good to keep/know?

Paul
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help for Future Identification?   Help for Future Identification? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 12:51 pm

I do both. The plant label is the P-touch labelling machine type of label and I place the species / subspecies name and the field number. At the top of the label I write the Accession number.

Help for Future Identification? Label10

I kept all the information about each Accession on the computer using a system called Cactus Based. Using this system I am able to retain all the information regarding where the plant / seed came from, germination details, flowering records, photographs of the plants, etc...

Help for Future Identification? Scrtee10
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Help for Future Identification?   Help for Future Identification? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 5:02 pm

I do something very similar.

I keep all my plant details in an Excel file which records:

Accession No: a sequential number denoting simply this plant has this number.
Genus, species, subspecies, field number: I try to keep these in line with the Hunt Classification.
Original species, subspecies: Often these names are used in other classifications, such as Reppenhagen's, so whereas I would have (say) magnimamma as the species in my plant record, I might have bought the plant as M. zuccariniana.
Date acquired, source, habitat detail sif known (from field number references or other).
Notes
Hyperlink to my Photo file, so I can bring up a picture of the plant.

I also print my labels using a P-Touch label printer. I do this directly from the Excel file, so I have the accession number across the end of the label, and then the name on two lines usually.

To expand a little on the issue of prior names, in the example I used of M. magnimamma and M. zuccariniana, what I actually do when printing my labels is to use both names, so the label would read: Mammillaria magnimamma 'zuccariniana' Repp.1240

The use of additional names in quotations is my personal modification of a recommendation by Gordon Rowley to use such prior names as Cultivar names. I don't like this with an initial capital letter, as I want to differentiate between prior use names and true cultivars - i.e. commercial named and produced plants by selection etc.

PostSubject: Re: Help for Future Identification?   Help for Future Identification? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks Guys.
Tam, Where did you (or can one) get Cactus Base?

Chris, Would you (or anyone else) be willing to share an example of your excel spreadsheet?
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Help for Future Identification?   Help for Future Identification? Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Yes, of course I'm happy to share it, Paul. I'll send you an extract by email if you send me your address to my email. I don;t seme to be able to access yours from Forum.

PostSubject: Re: Help for Future Identification?   Help for Future Identification? Icon_minitimeThu May 06, 2010 10:22 am

The Cactus Base came has a disc which I came across on the net. If you just Google ' Cactus Base Program ' that should bring it up.
It is not without one small problem and that is with the photographs. You can not store pictures in the program itself. It only acts has a link and the pictures have to be stored in a file within the computer. If you move the file then the link is broken.
To date I have not found anything else has good, but if I did I might consider changing my information recording software and the time it takes to input all that information again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help for Future Identification?   Help for Future Identification? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help for Future Identification?
Page 1 of 1