Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Identification help !

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Identification help ! Empty
PostSubject: Identification help !   Identification help ! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 8:39 pm

This plant is clearly a member of the Macrothelae serie (Yes,I have been studying)
When I sowed this plant a few years ago, the reference was Mammillaria magnimamma (perhaps a name given by a Hunt-admirer J) What would Reppenhagen have thought about this plant? Just magnimamma or saxicola, maybe vagaspina or a hybrid?
The central spine is approximately 4 cm long.

Identification help ! 2dj7zud
Back to top Go down
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Identification help !   Identification help ! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 8:40 pm

Hello Carl,
We could exclude saxicola, because the flowers are different. Reppenhagen says about vagaspina: 3-6 radial spines, the upper one, when present, very short, 1-5 mm long. Central spines: 1-2, mostly 2, 5-50 mm long, the lowest the longest, glassy yellow to grey with darker tips. Flower: white to brownish, or carmine to pink carmine, 20-22 mm long and wide
And now an idea of mine, I was thinking on bucareliensis. According to Reppenhagen: 0-5 radial spines, tyhe upper one the shortest, 0,5 to 5 mm long, glassy yellow with brown tips. Central spines: 2 - 4, mostly 2, 5-40 mm long, the lowest the longest, glassy yellow with dark tips. Flower: Carmine, 20 - 24 mm long and 16 -18 mm wide.
It is probably one of these two forms.

PostSubject: Re: Identification help !   Identification help ! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 19, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks Hugo for the information,
I think that bucareliensis is the right name.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification help !   Identification help ! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 7:26 am

Identification help ! 281_1811I recently brought this plant of M.carnea SB 366 and noticed that it is very similar in the spination of your plant above.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f49/12/69/77/96/281_1811.jpg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification help !   Identification help ! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 9:03 am

Identification help ! 285_1710Here is another plant that I got at the same time, M.bucarenliensis Rog 590. Has you can see. It looks total different to you plant. In the end I leave you to decide.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f49/12/69/77/96/285_1710.jpg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification help !   Identification help ! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 12:30 pm

Marc, thanks for the reaction, very interesting..

I sewed M.carnea in 2005 (without fieldnumber) and it looks now like this
Identification help ! Img_2612
to compare with the plant that I tried to identify
Identification help ! Img_2613
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Identification help !   Identification help ! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 20, 2008 1:00 pm

Looking at the last photograph I would say that Hugo was correct first time around. The plant on the right looks like something in the magnimamma complex and it seems to have grown a bit more since the last photo.
M.carnea needs a lot of good light to produce those long central spines and they will probabily develop in time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Identification help !   Identification help ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Identification help !
Page 1 of 1