Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help Identifying these Mams

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
2stepbay

2stepbay

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2023-01-08

Help Identifying these Mams Empty
PostSubject: Help Identifying these Mams   Help Identifying these Mams Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 1:56 pm

I live in the Western Cape of South Africa. Climate here is ideal for mammillaria. I grow my collection of Mammillaria, Mesembs, Crassulae, Haworthia, and some other indigenous plants around the perimeter of a covered deck (mesembs are grown away from the margins to minimize winter rainfall).  Specific to this post, I have 13 mam plants. These are the one's I have yet to identify. Thank you in advance for helping here.

Help Identifying these Mams Mam-1-10
Help Identifying these Mams Mam-2-10
Help Identifying these Mams Mam-3-10

These red flowers emerge around the crown of the elongated plant. Blooms between October and early December here. When this plant begins its bloom cycle in the mid-spring here, it lifts itself up from its winter prone position. And when flowering ceases in early December, it moves to a horizontal position for the remainder of the summer through the mid-spring. I have had this plant since 2017, when it was only 7cm (3") and stood straight up. It has been in this clay dish with the other two plants since that time. It's length now is about 25cm (10").
Help Identifying these Mams Mam-4-10

Help Identifying these Mams Mam-5-10
Help Identifying these Mams Mam-7-10
Help Identifying these Mams Mam-6-10
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying these Mams   Help Identifying these Mams Icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2023 2:44 pm

Hi, and welcome.
I would say that the first few photos show M. muehlenpfordtii, paricularly nicely spined plants. The bent over plant is, I think, M. matudae, and if its the same plant in theclose up of the top with red flowers, then that also is, I think, M. matudae.
I can't see clearly enough from the photo exactly what the spines are but the multi-headed, dichotomously branched plant with the odd pink flower is probably one of the many forms of M. perbella.
I don't recognise the next one, also dichotomously branched, with hair in the axils. I'd be tempted to suggest a form of M. karwinskiana, or beiselii, but I've never seen one with such long spines.
The next inage shows, I think, M. albilanata, again a very variable species, and the smaller plant is either anoher perbella or a microthele.

I'm sure others will probaly correct me, as though I love growing these plants, I don't have a perfect record at identification, by a fair way.

2stepbay likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/index.html
2stepbay

2stepbay

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying these Mams   Help Identifying these Mams Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2023 5:03 am

Thank you. That's a good start.

Most of these particular plants were found at the garden section of a Home Depot-like store here. Their label only said "cactus - water carefully".

Contrary to what I have read regarding Mamm care, in South Africa's Western Cape winter temps at lower elevations rarely go below 4c/40f (maybe to 3c/37f), and the weather is rather wet at times. Nonetheless, succulents thrive in these wetter winter weather conditions (judging from the strong blooming cycle then for Aloe, Crassulae and other indigenous plants).The 13 Mamms I have growing outdoors on the margins of a covered deck have adapted to the weather here quite well. Wetter winter doesn’t seem to phase them. Also, the 3 mamms in the large clay pot have not been repotted since they were first planted in 2017. If anything, their growth has been quite remarkable over the past 6 years.

Last edited by 2stepbay on Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rohan41

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2017-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying these Mams   Help Identifying these Mams Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2023 2:01 pm

I think the long spined plant is Karwinskiana subsp nejapensis.

2stepbay likes this post

Back to top Go down
2stepbay

2stepbay

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying these Mams   Help Identifying these Mams Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2023 4:21 pm

Rohan41 wrote:
I think the long spined plant is Karwinskiana subsp nejapensis.

I agree. However, the spines on those that turn up in a browser search have more rigid spines than this one. Maybe the one I posted is a hybrid.

It was early in 2022 that it started to split its crown into two segments. It bloomed during the early spring here.

Back to top Go down
agrippa

agrippa

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2012-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying these Mams   Help Identifying these Mams Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2023 5:12 pm

I think the first long-spined plants  are M. muehlenpfordtii with no doubt. I have almost the same looking ones in my collection. Spines do not fit fully into the picture.
Help Identifying these Mams 52626185517_6551b79d7e_b

Help Identifying these Mams 52627218258_051e4b893b_b

Most M. karwinskiana have lighter yellowish flowers and different spination.

And here is one short-spined or rather "normal"  M. muehlenpfordtii shot in a store.
Help Identifying these Mams 52626713641_25a46aaa95_b
Back to top Go down
2stepbay

2stepbay

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying these Mams   Help Identifying these Mams Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2023 5:13 am

agrippa wrote:
I think the first long-spined plants  are M. muehlenpfordtii with no doubt. I have almost the same looking ones in my collection. Spines do not fit fully into the picture.

Thank you. I agree. It's one of my favorites here. Its crown split into two earlier last year. Also, flowers pretty much throughout the year with brief periods of rest. One of those "handle with care" varieties, as in "watch you don't get speared". affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help Identifying these Mams   Help Identifying these Mams Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help Identifying these Mams
Page 1 of 1