HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria senilis

Go down 
AuthorMessage
wiebe

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2008-09-18

Mammillaria senilis Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria senilis   Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 5:37 pm

I have 4 plants of M. senilis. Just like last year only one of these is in flower (at almost the same date as last year!) with only 1 flower.

Wiebe

Mammillaria senilis Dsc1997j

Mammillaria senilis Dsc2005so
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria senilis   Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 6:58 pm

I have two plans as well. My red flowered plant has 8 heads and so far 17 buds. My smaller, single headed plant of this with white flowers has two buds, one more than last year!

They are a joy, beautiful flowers, and great spines. I have mine in the corner of my greenhouse, where they get good light, and probably are in the coldest position as well.

wiebe

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria senilis   Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 9:19 pm

'Cold' is a problem in my collection because I heat my greenhouse at a minimum temperature of about 12C (because of my Stapeliads). The M senilis in flower is the one which gets in my opinion less sun than my 3 other plants (but maybe a litte lower temperatures.

Wiebe
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1727
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria senilis   Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeSat Mar 17, 2012 11:56 pm

It likes a cold winter, sometimes in its habitat it is covered by snow for long periods. So a 12C will inhibit its flower production.

But you can't have everythging, compromises are needed, but for Stapeliads ?? Shocked

I shouldn't say that really as one of my very first plants, when I was 8 was a Stapelia, but I have developed a much stronger preference for spiny plants.

wiebe

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria senilis   Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 12:07 pm

Quote :
but for Stapeliads ??
Well everybody has its own weakness LOL I always had (more than 30 years by now) and always will have a mixed collection. Stapeliads are some kind of 'first love' for more than 25 years.

Wiebe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria senilis   Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria senilis
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mammillaria Forum :: PHOTO GALLERY :: Photo Gallery-
Jump to: