Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Mammillaria senilis

Go down 
+2
Mercia
Chris43
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

My Mammillaria senilis Empty
PostSubject: My Mammillaria senilis   My Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2018 1:00 pm

After spending last winter in a dark garage, and producing no flowers at all, this plant has responded to its new situation with a great show, the most flowers I've ever had on this plant.

My Mammillaria senilis Dsc05910

Mercia

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2012-10-27

PostSubject: Re: My Mammillaria senilis   My Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Stunning!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ento

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-12-26

PostSubject: Re: My Mammillaria senilis   My Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Yes, a great show!!!
Back to top Go down
K.W.

K.W.

Number of posts : 3202
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: My Mammillaria senilis   My Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2018 9:39 pm

My Mammillaria senilis 100 cheers
Back to top Go down
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: My Mammillaria senilis   My Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 9:25 am

Quite a show! I'm still waiting for my 2011 seedlings to oblige, I must be doing something wrong...
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/ Online
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: My Mammillaria senilis   My Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 12:48 pm

Maybe this is one species that does better in our colder climate. I am sure it likes winter cold and light, so it goes into the corner of the greenhouse that is the farthest away from the heaters, which just happens to be the south west side, so it gets whatever winter light the jet stream lets us have!

jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 534
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: My Mammillaria senilis   My Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 1:15 pm

I'm sure light is not the problem, but cold may very well be. We don't have much of that over here - by your standards, anyway. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/ Online
K.W.

K.W.

Number of posts : 3202
Registration date : 2012-09-25

PostSubject: Re: My Mammillaria senilis   My Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2018 10:37 pm

Chris43 wrote:
Maybe this is one species that does better in our colder climate. I am sure it likes winter cold and light, so it goes into the corner of the greenhouse that is the farthest away from the heaters, which just happens to be the south west side, so it gets whatever winter light the jet stream lets us have!

Yes, a friend told me: hibernate cold and unfriendly. . . affraid
Then the plants will bloom with certainty.
And pour early in the year when it's still cold.

Best wishes

K.W.

Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: My Mammillaria senilis   My Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Chris, congratulations on this spectacular number of flowers! I have never seen so many flowers on one head!
One of my old multiheaded (11 heads) M. senilis will produce 25 flowers this year, with a maximum of 5 flowers on 1 head. The other senilis, just as old and with about the same number of heads, will give me only 3 flowers. This senilis has always produced a smaller number of flowers than the other one, even though they are standing next to each other. The reason for the difference, I believe, could well be that the poorer-flowering plant has been in the shade of the other one. In the late fall and winter, my greenhouse gets sun only in the afternoon, in such a way that the sun does reach the well-flowering plant, but 'not' the poorer-flowering one. This year the difference in number of flowers is very large, and that may have to do with the very sunny February that we had. The low afternoon sun in February reached one plant, but much less the other one.
Next year I will put both plants in such a position that they get the same amount of sunshine.
Cold is no problem at all, both plants have had at least -5C this winter.

Chris, the heads with only 1 flower, have they been on the shady side of the plant?

Wolter ten Hoeve.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Mammillaria senilis   My Mammillaria senilis Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Mammillaria senilis
Page 1 of 1