Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria microcarpa?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2010-05-25

Mammillaria microcarpa? Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria microcarpa?   Mammillaria microcarpa? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 18, 2011 10:16 am

I got this plant from Amante Darmanin himself as Mammillaria microcarpa Dar167. An accident (well, base rot is an accident in my book) left me with only a couple of offsets that took some time to reach flowering size, and to my surprise they looked like this:

Mammillaria microcarpa? Mammil11

I am thinking that some stray polen may have played some part in here. What do you think?

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria microcarpa?   Mammillaria microcarpa? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Flowers and tiny stems remind me of M thornberi ssp yaquensis.

Wiebe
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria microcarpa?   Mammillaria microcarpa? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:44 am

I agree, Wiebe, it does look more like M. thornberi., but probably not yaquensis, whose spnes usually are darker, and stems slimmer. DAR167 comes from nr. Lukeville, Organ Pipe Cactus Natl. Mon., Pima Co, AZ. You can find M. microcarpa (grahami), M. tetrancistra and M. thornberi in that area. If the plants are not in flower, it can be quite difficult to identify habitat plants.
Amante Darmanin doesn't list M. thornberi, and DAR167 was the only Mamm that he collected in this area, the others being Ferocacti. He had collected DAR162, as M. microcarpa in Sonoyita, Sonora.
I suspect that this plant is M. thornberi, and that the identification is wrong. I doubt cross fertilisation is the case here, much less likely.

jfabiao

jfabiao

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria microcarpa?   Mammillaria microcarpa? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2011 9:48 am

Thanks a lot, Chris and Wiebe. Maybe Amante will see this and brings his insight on this subject. Meanwhile, I'll amend the label.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria microcarpa?   Mammillaria microcarpa? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Further to the discussion on one of my field numbers; The seeds I gave to Jfabiaio were from habitat (not 2nd generation seeds) so unless they had hybridised in habitat they are pure bred.

I was not aware of M. thornberi growing near Lukeville or Sonoyta (pronounced Sonoeeta) . As Chris remarked, these cacti look very similar in habitat and I only thought about M. microcarpa (grahamii) and tetrancistra. I immediately eliminated tetrancistra because it has larger seeds. I had been finding several cacti of the microcarpa type at Sonoyta and I crossed the boarder by mistake believing I was still in Sonoyta it was later when checked my primitive GPS that I realised I was in Arizona. There was only a crude Iron fence at the time. I was lucky, as later I saw boarder guards patrolling the area.Mammillaria microcarpa? Dscn2513
A group of M. microcarpa at Sonoyta, Sonora
Mammillaria microcarpa? Dscn2514 A cristate plant at Sonoyta, Sonora

Mammillaria microcarpa? Dscn2515 In flower at Sonoyta, Sonora

Mammillaria microcarpa? Dscn2610 M. microcarpa from across the boarder, Arizona

Mammillaria microcarpa? Dscn2611 What I thought to be a variable M. microcarpa which may well be M. thornberi

Back to top Go down
jfabiao

jfabiao

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria microcarpa?   Mammillaria microcarpa? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Excellent photos! Thank you, Amante, the last picture shows a plant that closely resembles mine.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria microcarpa?   Mammillaria microcarpa? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 25, 2011 10:55 am

Nice photos, Amante, and I'm pretty sure that the last one is indeed M. thornberi.

OK, Fabio - any seedlinsg still available?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria microcarpa?   Mammillaria microcarpa? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria microcarpa?
Page 1 of 1