HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria formosa vs Mammillaria sempervivi

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lucio

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-01-26

Mammillaria formosa vs Mammillaria sempervivi Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria formosa vs Mammillaria sempervivi   Mammillaria formosa vs Mammillaria sempervivi Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 12:12 pm

Hi
Mammillaria sempervivi and Mammillaria formosa (specially som form of this) are very similar in the descriptions, How we can distinguish them?
I think the number of radial spines are important, but it is very variable! Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1707
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mammillaria formosa vs Mammillaria sempervivi Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria formosa vs Mammillaria sempervivi   Mammillaria formosa vs Mammillaria sempervivi Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi Lucio,
I don't think they are so difficult to distinguish, especially when in flower.
M. sempervivi has very few radial spines and they soon drop off, leaving just 1 or 2 central spines. The flowers also are quite definitely yellow.
M. formosa and its various forms, always have persistent radial spines, usually 2 or more central spines, and pale pink to white flowers. The only plant that differs in M. pseudocrucigera, often stated to be a form of sempervivi, but this has pink striped flowers, though its spines are more like the proper sempervivi. Pilbeam says that ssp. pseudocrucigera is the link between formosa and sempervivi - I agree in spine formation, but not in terms of flower, which is much darker than any formosa form I have seen.
I have heard, but not seen, of an apparently true sempervivi which has pink flowers, but in many cases the plant turns out to be pseudocrucigera.

Mammillaria formosa vs Mammillaria sempervivi
Page 1 of 1