Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The time has come...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2010-05-25

The time has come... Empty
PostSubject: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 3:00 pm

...for this forum to enter its dormant stage, I guess. Time to clean the shelves and groom our plants, look out for new seed lists and plan the next season. Apart from Mammillaria plumosa, what other reasons to cheer are there for Mammillaria addicts till next spring?
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Almost time, Fabiao, but I still have a few rhodantha ssp. and polythele ssp. in flower. Mind you with the level fo sun at the moment, the flowers hardly open.
But you are right, I have already moved my tender species (nivosa, mammillaris, guerreronis, beneckei and similar, and some late germinated seedlings) into a small polythene greehouse that sits inside my large greenhouse with an extra heater, so I can keep it at around 12C, whereas in a few weeks the main house will be down to 5C, currently winding down at 8C.

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeSat Oct 23, 2010 10:37 am

My first M plumosa is in flower, just like several M hernadezii.

Wiebe

The time has come... Mammillariaplumosadsc12
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Here are some of the smaller M. hernandezii thanks to the sun of today in full flower.

Wiebe

The time has come... Mamhernandeziidsc1294
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Your hernandezii are well ahead of mine, Wiebe. I have buds, biut at this time of year they rarely come to anything. Do you have any tips for their cultivation? do you treat them differently somehow?

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 25, 2010 5:49 pm

No special treatment but I keep my greenhouse much warmer than most of the other growers because of the Stapeliads in my collection. My minimum temperature is 14C. But even I need sunny days to get the flowers opened.

Wiebe
Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2985
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 8:29 pm

the photo of plumosa is something beautiful.
bravissimo...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 29, 2010 11:14 am

I do not know about you boys but it is business has usual for me over the winter.
I am half way through pricking out the seedlings that were sown at the start of this year and gapping up the seedlings from the pervious years to grow on.

The time has come... Seedli10

Then it will be ordering seed, a list has already arrived from Jara Dohanlik and there are about 30 packets I am interested in. Seed sowing will start in December. There is box of plants to make up to send to Kew Gardens, and then I might consider repotting a few plants.

Plants in flower at the moment are....albilanata oaxacana TL 195 & ML 270, halbingeri TL 199, huitzilopochtli MZ 420, vetula gracilis P 461 & ' Darley Star ', columbiana AIAPS / GX 735 & schiedeana schiediana ML 149.
My small seedling of goodridgei, which came from Chris, 'looks' like it might be starting to produce flower buds but it is hard to say at this stage.

Back to top Go down
jfabiao

jfabiao

Number of posts : 533
Registration date : 2010-05-25

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 6:43 pm

Apart from a rather confused M. schiedeana, the usual M. polythele and M. rhodantha / pringlei (is there really a way to tell them apart?) and several clones of M. muehlenpfordtii putting out a few flowers, I had a surprise awaiting me on the seedling quarters:

The time has come... Mammillaria_solisioides_2008X_20101031

Mammillaria solisioides, sown 2008/07 from seed bought from SuccSeed as Mammillaria pectinifera subsp. solisioides and in desperate need of repotting.
Back to top Go down
http://jardineiroazelha.blogspot.com/
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 8:29 pm

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to repot, if I were you. 3 years to flowering size fo that species is pretty good going! At least it would be in our un-sunny climate!

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 9:18 pm

Just a test
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The time has come...   The time has come... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The time has come...
Page 1 of 1