Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

M. wrightii fa. wolfii

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

M. wrightii fa. wolfii Empty
PostSubject: M. wrightii fa. wolfii   M. wrightii fa. wolfii Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 7:45 pm

I have a problem in getting M. wolfii to flower. Flower buds are being produced, they grow somewhat and then they shrivel. This happened this year as well as last year. Does anybody have an idea what the cause might be? Too much water, not enough water, too much heat or sunshine, not enough heat or sunshine?
On the cultivation of this very tricky wrightii form:
For many years I had tried to grow this wrightii form from seed, but usually the seedlings rotted away. Finally, I managed to grow 3 plants to flowering size and I obtained fruits from them. One of the 3 original plants (sown in 1991) still survives, the other two died a few years after flowering. In addition, I have a number of seedlings from the harvested seed, a few of them have reached flowering size. These plants, just like the old mother plant, have those shrovelling flower buds.
I grow this form, just like all my Mammillarias, in pure pumice, and they are doing quite well in this 100% mineral soil. In the summer they can have a good amount of water, but not on cloudy and cool days. Cold in the winter (even a little frost) is no problem at all for them.

Wolter, Assen, The Netherlands.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: M. wrightii fa. wolfii   M. wrightii fa. wolfii Icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 9:38 pm

I have 2 plants at the 7cm pot size, but I don't think they are ready to flower yet. I keep hoping, but while the other wrightii forms have flowered nicely, nothing yet. How big do they have to get to stand a chance of flowering?

woltertenhoeve

PostSubject: Re: M. wrightii fa. wolfii   M. wrightii fa. wolfii Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 1:20 pm

The old plant and the two seedlings with the shriveled buds are all 5 to 6 cm in diameter (spines not included). So I would predict that at a size of about 5 cm they should be able to flower. The other seedlings (around 10 of them) are all smaller. All the seedlings, including the flowering-size ones, were sown in 1999, so they have not grown very fast.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: M. wrightii fa. wolfii   M. wrightii fa. wolfii Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 4:58 pm

In 2012 Wolter wrote:
I had several more buds on my wolfiis in the last few weeks, but these 2 buds are the only ones that will become a flower. All the other buds shrivelled (I wrote about that problem a year ago). It looks as if M. wolfii needs plenty of water in order to prevent the shrivelling of the flowers, and perhaps a less sunny position (less heat) might also be beneficial. I do not know under what conditions the plants grow in nature (covered by grass?) and under what conditions they flower in nature (during a period with much rain?), that might be helpful in order to prevent the buds from shrivelling. Next year I will experiment a little more with my plants.

It would be interesting to know how the study has evolved in recent years.
My wolfii presented the same problems last summer...

M. wrightii fa. wolfii 3288-210
Back to top Go down
maurillio

Number of posts : 2986
Registration date : 2009-12-20

PostSubject: Re: M. wrightii fa. wolfii   M. wrightii fa. wolfii Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 5:06 pm

One flower of five....

M. wrightii fa. wolfii 3288-211
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

PostSubject: Re: M. wrightii fa. wolfii   M. wrightii fa. wolfii Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 6:31 pm

The problem of the shriveling flowers has more or less been solved. It looks as if spider mites, or some other invisible insects, have been the cause of the shriveling buds. It was even so that in the newly formed tubercles some spines were missing or had fallen off! Apparently the new fresh tubercles had been attacked by the spider mites. Due to these insects, I had similar problems with many other plants: poor growth, and sometimes no growth at all during recent years.
I have now handled the spider mite problem to such an extent that I had quite a few flowers this year on my ca. 10 wolfiis. I pollinated the flowers when they were flowering simultaneously and now there are 18 big fruits being formed, which means that I will get a lot of seeds. My wolfiis are standing close to the greenhouse door which is open during the summer. This means that the wolfiis get plenty of fresh air, lots of sunshine, but no excessive heat.
As I wrote before, M. wolfii can handle quite a lot of water during the flowering period (but as seedlings they are very sensitive to overwatering!)

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: M. wrightii fa. wolfii   M. wrightii fa. wolfii Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M. wrightii fa. wolfii
Page 1 of 1