Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

M. sphaerica?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

M. sphaerica? Empty
PostSubject: M. sphaerica?   M. sphaerica? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 4:04 pm

I have been waiting for this to bloom in hopes it would make it easier for me to ID on my own, but unfortunately, every image I can find online of M. sphaerica does not seem to have the centrals this plant has.
I wish I had my books with me. It's probably a no brainer for you guys, but it's a first for me. M. sphaerica? Icon_neutral

Any comments? Other than those about the pot of course. I haven't had a chance to repot it yet.M. sphaerica? Icon_rolleyesM. sphaerica? P1200534

M. sphaerica? P1200535

Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

M. sphaerica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: M. sphaerica?   M. sphaerica? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 4:20 pm

It looks like M. sphaerica to me, and the description for this species says 12-14 radial spines and 1 central spine.
The plant which has no central spines could be M. uberiformis, which is a form of M. longimamma. It is possible that confusion has set in.
The main distinguishing features of M. sphaerica from M. longimamma, apart from where it lives (Texas and across the south eastern border into Tamaulipas, vs Hidalgo and Queretaro), are shorter tubercles and spines, generally fewer radials, fruit colour (greenish purple vs yellow), and seed colour (black vs brown).
It looks generally a more compact plant, though I'm sure under certain cultivational conditions these visual diferences might not seem great.

Here is one of my sphaerica plants, GL40 from Zapata County, Texas.

M. sphaerica? 010-sp10

And here a longimamma SB88 from north of Pachuca, Hidalgo.

M. sphaerica? 008-lo10

M. sphaerica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: M. sphaerica?   M. sphaerica? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 4:30 pm

Great! Thanks Chris. Mine looks just like yours! Fantastic. Another plant named Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

M. sphaerica? Empty
PostSubject: Re: M. sphaerica?   M. sphaerica? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

M. sphaerica?
Page 1 of 1