Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mexican trip - part 3

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Mexican trip - part 3 Empty
PostSubject: Mexican trip - part 3   Mexican trip - part 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 1:37 pm

This post covers the Mammillarias that we found on day 4, 18th April 2010.

The morning started with a search for (amongst others) Mammillaria wohlschlageri, but this proved unsuccessful. We thought we had found it, but were a bit worried about the dark central spines on older plants, and then realised that what we were seeing were seedlings and older plants of Neolloydia conoidea.

However our second stop near the village of El Baluarte proved to be much more successful, as we found a number of plant sof Mammillaria sinistrohamata relatively easily on the hill between the village and the road.

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1015
The hillside

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1016
Mammillaria sinistrohamata

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1017
Mammillaria sinistrohamata in two colours!! or something else?

On another part of the hillside I came across this plant, either a double headed single plant or two plants just crammed up together. One look svery like M. sinistrohamata but the other is much darker spined. The description of sinistrohamata calls only and specifically for the central spines to be yellow. So what is it that I have here - two species? or an aberrant form?

Just after Sombrerete, we found no more of these plants, but did find yet more Mammillaria heyderi forms:

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1018

Our next stop was near San Francisco de los Organos, and we found a plant that we felt had an affinity with Mammillaria mercadensis:

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1019
M. mercadensis aff.

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1020
M. mercadensis aff.

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1021
Yet another of the ubiquitous Mammillaria heyderi gummifera (probably!)

A few miles further on we stopped and explored a hillside and found a form of the Lasiacantha group.

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1022
M. lasiacantha?

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1023
Close up of spines

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1024
Another plant from this hillside

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1025
Clos eup of spines

Mexican trip - part 3 Pict1026
The hillside where we found these plants.

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mexican trip - part 3   Mexican trip - part 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 10:48 pm

Hi Chris,

A few km west of El Baluarte I also found M. sinistrohamata, both yellow- and brownish-spined forms (WTH 526). Further west, near the Sain Alto turnoff, I found only yellow-spined plants (WTH 528, many plants there, originally qualified by me as M. aurihamata). Or are WTH 526 and 528 just forms of M. crinita?
Near San Francisco, I did find the M. gummifera, but I did not find your M. mercadensis aff.
However, near San Francisco, I found M. moelleriana. You have to climb the steep rocky hills to get there. See the attached photos of the plant and the beautiful rocky hills in this region.
Your M. lasiacantha? (probably from close to Villa Insurgentes) is actually M. stella-de-tacubaya (seeds differ considerably from lasiacantha seeds, seedlings sometimes form a hooked central, but only sporadically).
M. gummifera can be found in many other flat areas in the region between Fresnillo and Sombrerete. I find it difficult to determine whether the plants in this region are M. gummifera or M. wagneriana.

Wolter.

Mexican trip - part 3 Img_4810

Mexican trip - part 3 Img_4811
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mexican trip - part 3   Mexican trip - part 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 4:54 am

That second plant you believe to be M. lasiacantha? looks increadible!

That must have been a great trip. You just have been disappointed you couldn't find more seeds! Maybe next trip Wink
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mexican trip - part 3   Mexican trip - part 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 9:30 am

Wolter, thank you very much, I had hesitated to say stella-de-tacubaya because they showed no sign of central spines, unlike some we found later on in the trip.
We did look for moelleriana but were unsuccessful.
I think the debate son crinita vs sinistrohamata and other Stylothelae wil go on for ever! What I was surprised at were the brown spined forms, which sowed some seeds of doubt about it.
I'm glad you have that difficulty with gummifera and wagneriana, as in my notes I have exactly that question over a number of plants. When the upper central is straight it is not too difficult, but some curve a little, and some a lot. If this is the only difference between the plants (and to the amateur eye - mine anyway - it is), then is it really distinct? Hmmm....
Paulzie - I think a later trip would provide more ripe seeds, but also be more difficult - towards the end of our trip, as you'll see in time, the temperature was reaching 38-40C which isn;t great for 5 mile hikes up hills. At least not at my age!!

PostSubject: Re: Mexican trip - part 3   Mexican trip - part 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 2:29 pm

Totally understandable Chris! I live in Florida where it's not uncommon to reach that hot. I try not to walk anywhere... and it's all Flat here! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mexican trip - part 3   Mexican trip - part 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mexican trip - part 3
Page 1 of 1