Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2 plants looking for a name.

Go down 
AuthorMessage

2 plants looking for a name. Empty
PostSubject: 2 plants looking for a name.   2 plants looking for a name. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Below are 2 plants that have flowered for the first time. Both are members of the Supertexta complex.

Rog 360.

2 plants looking for a name. Rog_3610

ML 037

2 plants looking for a name. Ml_03710
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 plants looking for a name.   2 plants looking for a name. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Wish I could help... They're very nice though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 plants looking for a name.   2 plants looking for a name. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 6:21 pm

Mammillaria supertexta - ML 37 - Photo : Michel Lacoste
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 2 plants looking for a name.   2 plants looking for a name. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 29, 2010 6:22 pm

The first one is a nice specimen of M. haageana ssp. conspicua to my way of thinking.
And I'm afraid that I think the second one is also that species!
There are obvious differences in spination, mostly with the central spines, your first plant having two dark long ones, and the second plant four light brown shorter ones. But this is, I believe, well within the natural variation for this species.
Reppenhagen says it has 14-25 radial spines, and 2-4 central spines, 5-13mm long, glassy white, or glassy yeloow, or brown with darker tips or completely black.
When I was in Puebla in 2005, I saw such a wide variation on plants of this kind, that it really was confusing. I had taken Pilbeam with me, and his description of ssp. conspicua only suggested 2 central spines. Now I know that is a little restricting!

PostSubject: Re: 2 plants looking for a name.   2 plants looking for a name. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 12:48 pm

I thought that Rog 360 could have been conspicua but just wanted it confirmed, thanks.
In regard to the above ML 037, I cannot see the above plant being M.supertexta, the spination is all different. The plant was grown from seed from Doug Rowland, which in turn came from Lacoste, but it would seem it has become mixed up some where.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2 plants looking for a name.   2 plants looking for a name. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 10:41 am

Just going throught the Lacoste field list in the back of Pilbeam and it gives the name ignota ( albilanata oaxacana ) to ML 037, which I believe is a better fit for the plant above.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 2 plants looking for a name.   2 plants looking for a name. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 02, 2010 11:11 am

Looking more closely I can see the start of a fair bit of wool in the axils of that second plant, so albilanata oaxacana it is. Oddly I didn't see the field numbers... now where were my specs!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2 plants looking for a name.   2 plants looking for a name. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2 plants looking for a name.
Page 1 of 1