Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Empty
PostSubject: Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds   Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Icon_minitimeSun Dec 06, 2009 2:44 pm

How will I know when the seeds in the friut are ready for germination? Do I need to pollinate the flower myself. I have only one magnimamma plant, is that a problem?
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds   Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Icon_minitimeMon Dec 07, 2009 4:15 pm

Hi Johan,
I believe that M. magnimamma is self fertile, so you should be OK, but it is always good to get the brush out as soon as the flowers are open. It prevents accidental hybridisation anyway - well, reduces the risk.
The seed pods on magnimamma should be red, and I'd wait until they have deepened in colour and start to dry up. If you can then easily detach them then do so, else wait a bit longer. Then the seeds should be dark in colour and OK to sow.

PostSubject: Re: Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds   Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 4:41 am

Thank you Chris Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Icon_biggrin . Do I wait for the seed pods to dry out or can I open them to get the seeds as soon as detached?
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds   Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 10:16 am

I think the seed pods should be left to dry a bit, and shrivel up. Although I have no scientific proof, I have always felt that this is part of their maturing process.
However, I remember collecting just 2 magnimamma seed pods in 2005, and cleaned out the seed 2 months later, when the pods still showed red, and got about 50 seeds, of which probably 40 have germinated. First sowing was one month after I cleaned the seed; next was this year. There was no obvious difference in germination.

PostSubject: Mam seeds and harvesting   Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 5:19 pm

Speaking only from personal experience here...at least this works for me.

At the earliest, I harvest my Mam seeds when the pods become very easily detached from the plant if the birds are starting to eat them. When the fruit is still pulpy, I will spit the side open and scrape the seed filled jelly into a very fine sieve. I then gently rub the gelatinous mass in the sieve under running water until only seed remain. The seed can either be left in the sieve to dry, or put into a small cup to dry. Once dry, the seeds are gently rubbed to make sure they are all separated, and then stored in brown paper mini envelopes with labels. They may be planted anywhere from a month to several years later.

If birds are not a problem, I harvest the pods and either process them as above, or store the pods intact in the envelopes.

Harvesting ripe but pulpy fruits does work, but germination rates may not be as high as harvesting recently dried fruits.

It is my belief that the washing that occurs actually improves germination by mimicking the passage of seeds through the digestive tract under natural conditions in the wild. However, I have not run any sort of tests or experiments to confirm my beliefs.

M. magnimamma is one of my favorites as I very much enjoy the range of spination and flower colors!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds   Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 11:22 am

I collect seed when the fruits/pods can be easily removed from the plant, while still puply. I scrape the insideS onto boltting paper and leave to dry for a day and then bag the seed. I do not wash the seed and have never had any problems with germination afterwards.
While mimiking the passage of seed throught the digestive tract can be very important in the germination process of some cactus speices I do not believe it is in the case of Mamm's.
But has with a lot of things, if it works for you don't change it.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

PostSubject: Re: Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds   Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:32 pm

That's all very interesting, as although not Mamms, I collected a fair bit of seed on my last trip to the SW states, and they were quite pulpy, so the seeds needed a good wash. They were mostly Echinomastus, but did find a few M.grahamii and M. tetrancistra along the way.
I guess I'll find out this spring.

PostSubject: Re: Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds   Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 10:53 am

I found an article on this subject in an old UK Mamm Society Journal. It was recommended that a wait of 10 months between harvesting and sowing the seed.
It also mentioned that a lot of Cactus seed is collected by Ants. They use the seed to grow a fungus on the seed coat ( testa ) of the seed, which they eat. The fungus breaks down the testa. Once this process is finnished the ants remove the seed from the nest there by distributing the seed which then germinates.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds   Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Magnimamma Fruits/Seeds
Page 1 of 1