Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Flowering time of M perezdelarosae

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Flowering time of M perezdelarosae Empty
PostSubject: Flowering time of M perezdelarosae   Flowering time of M perezdelarosae Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 9:23 pm

I do have several plants of M perezdelrosae. They never show a lot of flowers and the different plants never flower at the same time so I have never been able to do some pollination. At this moment I have one plant in flower. When do your plants of this species flower?

Wiebe

Flowering time of M perezdelarosae Mammillariaperezdelaros
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Flowering time of M perezdelarosae   Flowering time of M perezdelarosae Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi Wiebe,

My perezdelarosaes always flower in early spring, never in the fall. In my opinion they need a lot of sunshine, this also minimizes etiolation. My plants flower quite well, a ring of flowers every spring.
When growing older, these plants form offsets, just like the strongly related M. bombycina. My two oldest plants were sown in 1989 and they have 20 or more offsets.
In nature, the plants stay small, 5 cm high at most. There they also get a lot of sunshine, growing in ridges on well-exposed rocks. I visited two locations, but did not observe offsetting plants. In contrast, M. bombycina forms large mats in nature, just like in cultivation.
Subspecies andersoniana stays even smaller in nature, only 1 - 2 cm diameter. I do not know how large they get in cultivation.

Regards,

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Flowering time of M perezdelarosae   Flowering time of M perezdelarosae Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 10:51 am

Hi Wiebe,
My plants also flower in spring, often a ring as well. I have several ssp. andersoniana and they are clearly smaller than the species, even in our northern light, though they are still young plants, I think. As such they haven't yet flowerd, but if they flower next year and at a different time of the year from the species, I'll let you know. I doubt it though.

PostSubject: Re: Flowering time of M perezdelarosae   Flowering time of M perezdelarosae Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 6:23 pm

Hello Wolter, Chris,

Thanks for your replies. My plants are in a very sunny positition but I can try another spot. Because of the Stapeliads in my collection, I have a very high minimum wintertemperature (12 - 14C). That may infuence flowering in a negative way?

Wiebe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flowering time of M perezdelarosae   Flowering time of M perezdelarosae Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flowering time of M perezdelarosae
Page 1 of 1