Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Colomas - anyone know where this is?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

Colomas - anyone know where this is? Empty
PostSubject: Colomas - anyone know where this is?   Colomas - anyone know where this is? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 1:55 pm

I have two plants now which have Colomas as the name of the place from where the seed was collected. One is a form of M. bombycina, the other a form of M. pettersonii. M. pettersonii is reported from Guanajuato, Zacatecas, Jalisco, SLP, Aguascalientes and Durango. M. bombycina from Aguascalientes and Jalisco.

I can find a place called Coloma, in Durango, and also a Palomas, which seems to be a very common name.

So if anyone knows where this place is I'd greatly appreciate knowing. Of course I suppose there might just be two places with that name....

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Colomas - anyone know where this is?   Colomas - anyone know where this is? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Hi Chris,

Colomos lies in the state of Aguascalientes, a little to the northeast of Calvillo. Near Colomos you can find M. bombycina, as well as forms of M. petterssonii. Reppenhagen specifically lists M. crassa from Colomos.

Best wishes,

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Colomas - anyone know where this is?   Colomas - anyone know where this is? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 10:50 am

Thank you, Wolter, and welcome to the Forum.
This plant was, I think, from Koehres seed, and is quite a distinctive form of this species, at least compared to what I belive to be my more typical form. It has longer yellow spines, larger bodies, and offsets in a less tidy manner than that one.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Colomas - anyone know where this is?   Colomas - anyone know where this is? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Colomas - anyone know where this is?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mammillaria Society Forum :: MAIN SECTION :: General Questions-
Jump to: