Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria luethyi

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria luethyi Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 12:29 am

Mammillaria luethyi

Mammillaria luethyi F1hyro
Back to top Go down
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 12:30 am

Hello Sonja,
This is a prize winner, stunning flowers!!! Is it on own roots or grafted ?

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 12:31 am

My grafted M. luethyi:

Mammillaria luethyi 4u786r
Back to top Go down
ChrisDavies

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 12:32 am

Grafted or not, still one of the most beautiful Mammillaria flowers.

Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 12:35 am

I'll join in the display - you can just see the plant - on its roots, single headed.

Mammillaria luethyi Luethyi8

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 7:49 pm

Today and yesterday a seed-grown luethyi was in full flower (one head, on its own roots). I have a few more grafted luethyis as well as another seed-grown one, but they are not yet flowering.
I really like the stunning flowers of this species. Also added are a few macros of the tubercles, showing the 'spination' on each tubercle.

Wolter.

Mammillaria luethyi Img_6819

Mammillaria luethyi Img_6820

Mammillaria luethyi Img_6821

Mammillaria luethyi Img_6822

Mammillaria luethyi Img_6823
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 8:20 pm

Great macro shots, Wolter. Those really are the most unusual spine clusters!
And well, the flowers.......

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Sorry to say this, but in the second macro shot, it appears there are Red Spidermites on the tubercle! I know they are supposed to be susceptible to spidermite attacks too.
Hey, does anyone know if they are self fertile or not? I just ordered a grafted plant and am expecting it by weeks end.
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:08 pm

I doubt that the small reddish dots have anything to do with spider mites. The plants still look very healthy, no sign of spider mite damage. The tubercles are only 1.5 - 2 mm in diameter, which would make the small reddish dots about 0.05 mm, which I believe is much too small for spider mites.
The macro shots of the areoles were taken with a Canon MP-E 65 mm lens, which can enlarge up to 5 times. Details like the spine-like structure of the areoles, which are not visible with the naked eye, will become visible with this lens. However, sharpness of depth is very, very small.

As far as I know, M. luethyi is not self-fertile, but perhaps there are exceptions. Two exceptions in my greenhouse: One plant of M. zephyrantoides is self-fertile, just like a M. saboae roczekii. The latter one was grafted on a piece of Opuntia. A roczekii on its own roots was not self-fertile. The Opuntia-grafted plant died a winter ago, but from the seeds I got some nice small seedlings (it looks as if roczekii germinates better than the others of the saboae group or M. luethyi).

Wolter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 11:27 pm

Very nice Wolter!

I agree with your marks on the germination of roczekii; in general I have good germination with seeds of this ssp.

Wiebe
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 5:53 pm

That's Great Wolter, It would really be bad to lose the plant. Very nice flowers too btw.

And I'll keep my fingers crossed I can find pollen for my plant if and when it blooms.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria luethyi   Mammillaria luethyi Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria luethyi
Page 1 of 1