Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria albata?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dax

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2020-11-23

Mammillaria albata? Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria albata?   Mammillaria albata? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 01, 2023 3:47 pm

Hi, a friend has this plant. He told me that he bought the seeds as M. albata. Besides M. albata is a synonym of M. geminispina, I doubt this plant is that one. Any idea?
Thank you very much.
Mammillaria albata? M_alba10
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria albata?   Mammillaria albata? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 3:08 pm

M.albata has been referred to M. hahniana as well as M. geminispina ssp. leucocentra. You can see the details of this in the A to Z section under A. Your plant looks to me to be closer to M. hahniana than M. geminispina, but I think its difficult to be sure. I try to grow plants with some kind of location attribution, as these plants are quite variable in size, shape, and wool.

MarcNevsky likes this post

Back to top Go down
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/index.html
Dax

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria albata?   Mammillaria albata? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 03, 2023 3:18 pm

Thank you very much, Chris43, I will give this data to my friend.
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria albata?   Mammillaria albata? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 5:21 pm

I acquired 3 largest m. hahniana plants growing together in a large pot via the late Bill Maddams. He had received them from a person who no longer could look after them, and said they had them for more than 10yrs growing on from 3 small plants bought together in the same pot. At first glance they indeed all looked typical m. hahniana. Bill pointed out that one of them looked a bit different from the other two and suggested that it could be m. albata. I eventually managed to get them out of the pot and separate them. Growing them on for a further year, clearly the "odd" one developed into m. albata, as I know it.
Since these small plants were probably pricked out as one lot and potted on together by the grower (which often happens) from a batch of m.hahniana seedlings, this whole exercise made me even more convinced that m. albata is more akin to m. hahniana.
Back to top Go down
Dax

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria albata?   Mammillaria albata? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 16, 2023 5:28 pm

Thank you very much, delandmo, for the information.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria albata?   Mammillaria albata? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria albata?
Page 1 of 1