Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2016-08-19

Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora? Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora?   Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora? Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2021 1:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I wanted to show of two of my Mam. schwarzii's I bought last year, they a flowering currently. Surprisingly one of them turned out to have pinkish flowers.. Are these plants maybe hybrids?

Regards Jonathan

Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora? Img_6011
Mam. schwarzii  fma. roseiflora?
(a little wet from watering...)

Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora? Img_6012
Mam. schwarzii (with the usual flowers)
Back to top Go down
PVV1962

PVV1962

Number of posts : 587
Registration date : 2016-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora?   Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora? Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2021 8:40 pm

Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora? 20210510
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora?   Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora? Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2021 5:55 pm

I would think that all the plants shown in this thread are hybrids. If you don't prevent pollinating insects from entering into your collection, you will get hybridization, especially in a collection of many mammillarias.
I once had one M. zublerae (gift from a friend in England) and found fruits on it about 10 years ago. M. zublerae is not self-fertile and the plants which came from this seed were a real mix. I posted the photos in the past and recently I took photos of the plants from the next generation. I will post them in my old 'zublerae hybrids' subject, so you can see how variable these hybrids are (probably hybrids with carmenae and laui which stood nearby that single zublerae).
Nowadays, pollinating insects cannot enter my greenhouses anymore and this zublerae has never produced fruits since then.

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down
mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2016-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora?   Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora? Icon_minitimeSun May 30, 2021 10:38 pm

Thank you for your opinion Wolter, I knew you would know and thank aswell for the pictures. My plants came from an italian seller. Since this year I have an insect net against cross-pollination. But I think not only the italians but many sellers that dont take care of this sell hybrids and sometimes you cant even tell..

The plant of Vladimir is not hybrid in my opinion, I think the label says Mam. erytrosperma what it certainly is.

Kind regards Jonathan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora?   Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria schwarzii fma. roseiflora?
Page 1 of 1