Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mammillaria ID

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2020 6:52 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm new here to this blog and starting off with a question:
Any opinions concerning the ID ?
https://servimg.com/view/20292098/1
I think it could be M. haageana, but it doesn't really fit any of the ssp

What does the crowd say ?

Thanks in advance !
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2020 7:23 pm

Most likely m.haageana sub. acultzingenis. It's probably the camera, but the flower should be more redder for my liking.
Back to top Go down

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2020 8:06 pm

yes, that's what I was thinking but the flowers don't match. And no, cam is ok, the color is the way it shows on the pic. It's pale pink with darker pink middle stripe.
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitimeSun Dec 20, 2020 9:07 pm

The flowers are also quite small and that might point to a connection with M. columbiana (or yucatanensis, ruestii).

Wolter ten Hoeve.
Back to top Go down

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2020 12:26 am

woltertenhoeve: Hmmmm, yes, it looks a bit like M. columbiana, but columbiana and its ssp has more central spines (mine has only 2) and also the flower color wouldn't fit. And yes, flowers are pretty small...certainly <1cm in diam.
Back to top Go down

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2020 2:30 am

woltertenhoeve: I got some more opinions and the consensus is that you are right. It's M. columbiana ssp yucatanensis.....thanks !
Back to top Go down
delandmo

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-06-05

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2020 1:40 pm

I know we all pay great attention to how many central or radial spines a plant has before we make a definite id. and then say, oh well this type is variable, if different from it's original description. But your photo shows, if my eyes are seeing right, that it has only two centrals, whereas in Pilbeam's description of m. columbiana ssp. yucatanensis is four or even five. A big difference maybe.
Back to top Go down

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2020 2:09 pm

delandmo: that was my original thinking. However, I checked more in detail in found also areoles with 3 spines. The plant is only 2 yrs old,so perhaps, with age, more central spines are produced. What had me doubt the M. haageana idea, was the flower (very small and pink). in any case, what it shows us, is that Mammillaria ID is not an easy feat.
Back to top Go down
mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2016-08-19

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitimeSat Dec 26, 2020 1:21 pm

Hello Harald,

I follow Wolter here and agree with Mammillaria columbiana. I was comparing it to my columbiana forms and on a yucatanensis I could find 2 central spines in the apex region if you look closely (picture 1-2). But mostly yucatanensis has 4 central spines. What is known as Mammillaria chiapensis is probably just a form of the subspecies yucatanensis has always 2 central spines (picture 3-4).

Kind regards and merry Christmas

Jonathan

Mammillaria ID Img_5818
Mammillaria ID Img_5819
Mam. yucatanensis PCF 2609

Mammillaria ID Img_5820
Mammillaria ID Img_5821
Mam. chiapensis ML 373 - El Aguacero, Chis.
Back to top Go down

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2020 1:49 pm

Besten Dank Jonathan !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mammillaria ID Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mammillaria ID   Mammillaria ID Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mammillaria ID
Page 1 of 1