Mammillaria Society Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mammillaria Society Forum

Discussion Forum about Mammillaria, Coryphantha and Escobaria

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Empty
PostSubject: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi,

I got a Mammillaria two years ago and was checking for informations. I found several sites and among them this forum. I have followed as a guest for quite a time. Meanwhile my Mammillaria collection has grown to over 100 plants. I have brought them outside today and took some pictures. I thought it might be a good introduction to show at least some of them. I was lucky last summer and got a lot of old plants and was afraid all winter long that I might kill them...but they are ok so far. It has been a very warm winter here and the temperatures in my plant room never fell below 15°C.

But lets start with the pictures.

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03921

At the moment I have all plants on shelves that can be covered with shade cloth or bubble foil to protect them from too much sun or late frost. Later I plan to put them in the garden to bring life to my sunny spots.

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03612

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03613

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03922

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03923

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc04027

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc04028

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc04029

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03524

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03525

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03526

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03527

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03528

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Dsc03529

I think this is enough for a first hello :-) Please let me know if you see something wrong or if you think that I'm mistreading the plants. First of all I want ot enjoy them as long as possible and so it is best to rely on advice of people like you.

Kind regards

Karin
Back to top Go down
PVV1962

PVV1962

Number of posts : 594
Registration date : 2016-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2020 11:48 pm

Hello, Karin!
Mammillaria is exciting.

I think that all labels are correct.
I hope that you will eventually build a large greenhouse on a half-yard.
The vicinity of large trees and shrubs are not desirable near the collection.
There is usually settled in many insects. Aphids, mites. Pay attention to the young shoots of the bushes.
Watch the quarantine when buying new cacti. Delete old ground, inspect the roots and body.
All the best.
V.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 8:02 am

Hi V.,

Thank you for mentioning the dangers of trees and shrubs. I will keep this in mind when bringing them to the garden. Unfortunately I can not have a greenhouse, my property is rented and my landlord is very patient with my plantmania, but he will not allow a greenhouse :-)So the best I can do is wrap some shelves in bubble foil in spring. I had a lot of plants outside when the temperature dropped to -7°C (at nicht)for a few days and they did well in the covered shelves.

best regards
Karin
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 2:24 pm

Welcome indeed. Always good to see another's collection.

woltertenhoeve

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 6:46 pm

Small addition: The plant labelled sp. San Marcos de Colon is probably a M. columbiana.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
Chris43
Chris43

Number of posts : 1872
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 8:04 pm

Question to others: the plant labelled as M. pringlei seems to have 5-6 curving spines. M. pringlei is supposed to have 20 or so radial spines and 6 - 8 central spines. It looks a bit more like obconella, but that's supposed only to have 4 spines. Hmmm......
I know spine counting isn't an infallible guide.

woltertenhoeve

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 9:05 pm

I agree with you, Chris. It cannot belong to the rhodantha-complex (where pringlei is), because there are no thin radial spines. It should belong to the polythele-complex, because the thin radials are lacking there. And then M. obconella looks the best fit.

Wolter.
Back to top Go down
mammillariamaniac

mammillariamaniac

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2016-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi everyone,

willkommen im Forum Karin.
The species from San Marcos de Colon (Honduras) is the columbiana form ruestii. And I also agree with Chris and Wolter that your Mam. pringlei is Mammillaria obconella.

Viele Grüße

Jonathan Mohl
Back to top Go down
woltertenhoeve

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2020 8:14 pm

I had a look at my M. obconella fa. TL 581 from Ocotlán: there are 6 radial spines (somewhat curved upward).

Wolter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2020 4:49 am

Thank you! I will have a close look at 'pringlei' and count the spines and add Mammillaria colombiana/ruestii to my label of the Mammillaria from Honduras. It is so confusing for me at the moment, but I'm sure with some help I can learn a few things about my plants. Kind regards,Karin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany   Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi from Upper Franconia, Germany
Page 1 of 1